Jan 15, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Timofey Mozgov is out of George Karl’s rotation in Denver. He has played in just two of the team’s last five games and in the two he played he got a total of 14 minutes.
Combine that with him being in the last year of his contract and Mozgov being 7’1” and you have the makings of a potential trade.
That is something Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida reports and Mozgov himself admitted is likely.
League sources said the Denver Nuggets are looking to deal center Timofey Mozgov, who has been unable to get much playing time on a deep team and has an expiring contract. Mozgov is aware he could be moved by the Feb. 21 trade deadline.
“It think it’s logical, you can see that, trading me,’’ Mozgov said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida. “I’m in my contract year. So if they can get something for me… I don’t think it would be a surprise for me (to be traded).’’
There are no shortage of good teams looking for a big to come off the bench at an affordable price — Miami and Boston among them. Mozgov has some skills — he’s a good finisher on the pick and roll, he’s good at defending bigs in the post (remember he played Andrew Bynum well in the playoffs last year) and he has a midrange touch.
It will come down to who offers the best package to Denver, but if you’re looking for a guy who could be moved — and could make a difference — Mozgov is your guy.
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 0
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 7
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6