Jan 15, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
Timofey Mozgov is out of George Karl’s rotation in Denver. He has played in just two of the team’s last five games and in the two he played he got a total of 14 minutes.
Combine that with him being in the last year of his contract and Mozgov being 7’1” and you have the makings of a potential trade.
That is something Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida reports and Mozgov himself admitted is likely.
League sources said the Denver Nuggets are looking to deal center Timofey Mozgov, who has been unable to get much playing time on a deep team and has an expiring contract. Mozgov is aware he could be moved by the Feb. 21 trade deadline.
“It think it’s logical, you can see that, trading me,’’ Mozgov said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida. “I’m in my contract year. So if they can get something for me… I don’t think it would be a surprise for me (to be traded).’’
There are no shortage of good teams looking for a big to come off the bench at an affordable price — Miami and Boston among them. Mozgov has some skills — he’s a good finisher on the pick and roll, he’s good at defending bigs in the post (remember he played Andrew Bynum well in the playoffs last year) and he has a midrange touch.
It will come down to who offers the best package to Denver, but if you’re looking for a guy who could be moved — and could make a difference — Mozgov is your guy.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 14
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 36
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 52
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28