Jan 15, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Timofey Mozgov is out of George Karl’s rotation in Denver. He has played in just two of the team’s last five games and in the two he played he got a total of 14 minutes.
Combine that with him being in the last year of his contract and Mozgov being 7’1” and you have the makings of a potential trade.
That is something Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida reports and Mozgov himself admitted is likely.
League sources said the Denver Nuggets are looking to deal center Timofey Mozgov, who has been unable to get much playing time on a deep team and has an expiring contract. Mozgov is aware he could be moved by the Feb. 21 trade deadline.
“It think it’s logical, you can see that, trading me,’’ Mozgov said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida. “I’m in my contract year. So if they can get something for me… I don’t think it would be a surprise for me (to be traded).’’
There are no shortage of good teams looking for a big to come off the bench at an affordable price — Miami and Boston among them. Mozgov has some skills — he’s a good finisher on the pick and roll, he’s good at defending bigs in the post (remember he played Andrew Bynum well in the playoffs last year) and he has a midrange touch.
It will come down to who offers the best package to Denver, but if you’re looking for a guy who could be moved — and could make a difference — Mozgov is your guy.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4