Jan 15, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
Timofey Mozgov is out of George Karl’s rotation in Denver. He has played in just two of the team’s last five games and in the two he played he got a total of 14 minutes.
Combine that with him being in the last year of his contract and Mozgov being 7’1” and you have the makings of a potential trade.
That is something Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida reports and Mozgov himself admitted is likely.
League sources said the Denver Nuggets are looking to deal center Timofey Mozgov, who has been unable to get much playing time on a deep team and has an expiring contract. Mozgov is aware he could be moved by the Feb. 21 trade deadline.
“It think it’s logical, you can see that, trading me,’’ Mozgov said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida. “I’m in my contract year. So if they can get something for me… I don’t think it would be a surprise for me (to be traded).’’
There are no shortage of good teams looking for a big to come off the bench at an affordable price — Miami and Boston among them. Mozgov has some skills — he’s a good finisher on the pick and roll, he’s good at defending bigs in the post (remember he played Andrew Bynum well in the playoffs last year) and he has a midrange touch.
It will come down to who offers the best package to Denver, but if you’re looking for a guy who could be moved — and could make a difference — Mozgov is your guy.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 16
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 20
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48