Jan 14, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Metta World Peace in the open court never really disappoints from an entertainment standpoint. He’s just as liable to dribble the ball off his leg or short arm a lay-in as he is to make a play that gets the crowd on their feet.
Last night, in the Lakers’ much needed win over the Cavs, World Peace had a play that gave fans the best of all possible outcomes. After getting a steal, Metta hulk dribbled is way up the floor, noticed Kyrie Irving trying to chase him down, and decided he’d try to throw it down hard to avoid any mishaps at the rim.
What happened next, however, is classic MWP. In not elevating quite high enough (and while taking a hit from Irving), World Peace back rimmed the dunk and watched the ball go straight up in the air, only to see it fall right back through the hoop for the most unconventional “and-1′s” you’re likely to see this season. For good measure, he celebrated like only he could by kissing the hand of a court-side fan.
Love him or hate him, Metta is sure to entertain.
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 26
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 28
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 6