Jan 14, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
Metta World Peace in the open court never really disappoints from an entertainment standpoint. He’s just as liable to dribble the ball off his leg or short arm a lay-in as he is to make a play that gets the crowd on their feet.
Last night, in the Lakers’ much needed win over the Cavs, World Peace had a play that gave fans the best of all possible outcomes. After getting a steal, Metta hulk dribbled is way up the floor, noticed Kyrie Irving trying to chase him down, and decided he’d try to throw it down hard to avoid any mishaps at the rim.
What happened next, however, is classic MWP. In not elevating quite high enough (and while taking a hit from Irving), World Peace back rimmed the dunk and watched the ball go straight up in the air, only to see it fall right back through the hoop for the most unconventional “and-1′s” you’re likely to see this season. For good measure, he celebrated like only he could by kissing the hand of a court-side fan.
Love him or hate him, Metta is sure to entertain.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 4
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 4
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (38)
- Jason Kidd fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers (37)