Jan 14, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Metta World Peace in the open court never really disappoints from an entertainment standpoint. He’s just as liable to dribble the ball off his leg or short arm a lay-in as he is to make a play that gets the crowd on their feet.
Last night, in the Lakers’ much needed win over the Cavs, World Peace had a play that gave fans the best of all possible outcomes. After getting a steal, Metta hulk dribbled is way up the floor, noticed Kyrie Irving trying to chase him down, and decided he’d try to throw it down hard to avoid any mishaps at the rim.
What happened next, however, is classic MWP. In not elevating quite high enough (and while taking a hit from Irving), World Peace back rimmed the dunk and watched the ball go straight up in the air, only to see it fall right back through the hoop for the most unconventional “and-1’s” you’re likely to see this season. For good measure, he celebrated like only he could by kissing the hand of a court-side fan.
Love him or hate him, Metta is sure to entertain.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 0
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 18
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48