Jan 14, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT
As we told you earlier today, when the NBA trade passes Feb. 22 Rudy Gay most likely will still be in Memphis. The reason is the Grizzlies are not going to trade him unless they get a whole lot back in return — they are a top team in the West and don’t want to take a step back.
As evidence, we present you this note from the Toronto Sun.
…according to a highly-placed source, any chance of the Raptors picking up Rudy Gay in a trade are diminishing rapidly and it’s less and less likely something will happen.
The reason? The asking price is far too high.
As I mentioned last week, the players most coveted include the likes of Jose Calderon, Terrence Ross and one of the young bigs – and I know Valanciunas’s name has come up in conversation – and I would suggest Bryan should have no interest in that kind of chatter.
Similar buzz is coming out of other front offices that have spoken to Memphis — there is interest in Gay but not at the prices being asked. That could change by the deadline, but it more than likely will not.
By this summer a combination of the price coming down from Memphis — they will want to make a deal to start saving luxury tax money — and other teams stepping up will lead to a deal.
But it feels less and less likely one gets done before the deadline.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 0
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 35
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 14
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3