Jan 14, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT
As we told you earlier today, when the NBA trade passes Feb. 22 Rudy Gay most likely will still be in Memphis. The reason is the Grizzlies are not going to trade him unless they get a whole lot back in return — they are a top team in the West and don’t want to take a step back.
As evidence, we present you this note from the Toronto Sun.
…according to a highly-placed source, any chance of the Raptors picking up Rudy Gay in a trade are diminishing rapidly and it’s less and less likely something will happen.
The reason? The asking price is far too high.
As I mentioned last week, the players most coveted include the likes of Jose Calderon, Terrence Ross and one of the young bigs – and I know Valanciunas’s name has come up in conversation – and I would suggest Bryan should have no interest in that kind of chatter.
Similar buzz is coming out of other front offices that have spoken to Memphis — there is interest in Gay but not at the prices being asked. That could change by the deadline, but it more than likely will not.
By this summer a combination of the price coming down from Memphis — they will want to make a deal to start saving luxury tax money — and other teams stepping up will lead to a deal.
But it feels less and less likely one gets done before the deadline.
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 1
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 4
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 9
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable