Jan 14, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT
As we told you earlier today, when the NBA trade passes Feb. 22 Rudy Gay most likely will still be in Memphis. The reason is the Grizzlies are not going to trade him unless they get a whole lot back in return — they are a top team in the West and don’t want to take a step back.
As evidence, we present you this note from the Toronto Sun.
…according to a highly-placed source, any chance of the Raptors picking up Rudy Gay in a trade are diminishing rapidly and it’s less and less likely something will happen.
The reason? The asking price is far too high.
As I mentioned last week, the players most coveted include the likes of Jose Calderon, Terrence Ross and one of the young bigs – and I know Valanciunas’s name has come up in conversation – and I would suggest Bryan should have no interest in that kind of chatter.
Similar buzz is coming out of other front offices that have spoken to Memphis — there is interest in Gay but not at the prices being asked. That could change by the deadline, but it more than likely will not.
By this summer a combination of the price coming down from Memphis — they will want to make a deal to start saving luxury tax money — and other teams stepping up will lead to a deal.
But it feels less and less likely one gets done before the deadline.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 11
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48