Jan 14, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
Injured or not, Anderson Varejao is one guy whose name will come up around the trade deadline — big men who work hard, defend and rebound are always in demand.
The buzz has been that Cleveland would listen to your offer but they wanted a lot back in return for Varejao. A lot.
Varejao’s 14.4 rebounds per game led the league before his injury. They would demand much in return, as evidenced in the most recent trade rumor — that Cleveland was demanding Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe to be thrown into a proposed DeAndre Jordan for Varejao swap.
Are you nuts? Why not ask for Blake Griffin while you’re at it. And one of Donald Sterling’s homes.
(By the way, there is going to be a lot of Bledsoe buzz but Clippers are not going to trade him until this summer at the earliest because they want him as insurance in case they can’t re-sign Chris Paul.)
Two questions come to mind about Varejao. First, will the Cavaliers come to their senses on what they are willing to take back? My answer is “Dan Gilbert owns the team, who knows?”
The other is how much is the market for Varejao going to change with him injured? Varejao is out until late February or early March, some teams will still have interest because he’s the kind of hustling front line player who can make a difference in the playoffs. But their offers are not going up because of this. And the old offers weren’t cutting it.
In part because apparently the Cavaliers were already asking for the moon. And more.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 44
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11