Jan 14, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
It’s not a regular season without a Manu Ginobili injury.
He tweaked his left hamstring with just a minute to go before halftime of the Spurs win on Sunday night. He did not return for the second half. You had a feeling with Ginobili’s age (35) and injury history he would be out a little while. The only question was what is a little while.
Ginobili himself answered that on twitter Monday:
Just finished with the MRI. Grade 1 strained left hamstring. 10/14 days out. Will be back shortly. Thanks 4 ur support!!
— Manu Ginobili (@manuginobili) January 14, 2013
Missing 10-14 days would have him back just before the Spurs head out on the nine-game rodeo trip in early February. If Ginobili were out longer and missed part of that trip (or all of it), nobody would be shocked.
“It sucks,” said Jackson, “but it’s a part of the game. I’m glad it’s a strain and not a pull. He’ll be back a little quicker. But we have to step up. One person won’t be able to fill Manu’s shoes for what he does. Me, Gary (Neal), a couple other guys off the bench have to do it collectively.”
The Spurs get the big picture — at 29-11 they are playoff bound, they need to be healthy when it comes time and they will give 35-year-old Ginobili all the time he needs. Hamstrings can be tricky because they take a while to heal and can be aggravated easily. You have to rest it and be sure.
So this could take a while.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 8
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73