Jan 14, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Philadelphia general manager Tony DiLeo doesn’t know really what cards he’s been dealt.
Last summer he made a bold move — he shipped out Andre Iguodala and rebuilt the team around Andrew Bynum. There are not many athletic, true centers in the league and Philly landed itself one. Bynum averaged 18.7 points and 11.8 rebounds a game last season.
This season because of a knee injury he hasn’t set foot on a court (well, he finally did on Monday, but just for some stand-still shooting practice).
Which led DiLeo to tell CSNWashington.com not to expect and trade deadline moves because he really doesn’t even know what his team looks like yet.
“We just have to wait and be patient and try to get some answers,” said Sixers general manager Tony DiLeo last Friday when discussing the shape of his roster. “We want to see how Andrew fits in and how our players fit in with him….
“When we made the trade [for Bynum], we built the team around him,” DiLeo said. “That’s one of the questions we have to answer.”
Bynum thinks he could be back around the All-Star break. Even if he is, that would leave just a handfull of games to evaluate the team (and Bynum will not be 100 percent).
As noted in the story, the Sixers might make moves on the edges of the roster, like getting a backup point guard to play behind Jrue Holiday. But as for serious moves, not likely. He doesn’t know if he needs to make a move.
Of course, DiLeo does have to figure out what kind of contract he wants to offer the free agent Bynum this summer… not the most fun time to be in his chair.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 9
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15