Jan 14, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Philadelphia general manager Tony DiLeo doesn’t know really what cards he’s been dealt.
Last summer he made a bold move — he shipped out Andre Iguodala and rebuilt the team around Andrew Bynum. There are not many athletic, true centers in the league and Philly landed itself one. Bynum averaged 18.7 points and 11.8 rebounds a game last season.
This season because of a knee injury he hasn’t set foot on a court (well, he finally did on Monday, but just for some stand-still shooting practice).
Which led DiLeo to tell CSNWashington.com not to expect and trade deadline moves because he really doesn’t even know what his team looks like yet.
“We just have to wait and be patient and try to get some answers,” said Sixers general manager Tony DiLeo last Friday when discussing the shape of his roster. “We want to see how Andrew fits in and how our players fit in with him….
“When we made the trade [for Bynum], we built the team around him,” DiLeo said. “That’s one of the questions we have to answer.”
Bynum thinks he could be back around the All-Star break. Even if he is, that would leave just a handfull of games to evaluate the team (and Bynum will not be 100 percent).
As noted in the story, the Sixers might make moves on the edges of the roster, like getting a backup point guard to play behind Jrue Holiday. But as for serious moves, not likely. He doesn’t know if he needs to make a move.
Of course, DiLeo does have to figure out what kind of contract he wants to offer the free agent Bynum this summer… not the most fun time to be in his chair.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32