Jan 14, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
The Clippers may be the deepest team in the NBA, but that’s going to get a test Monday. And maybe a little more beyond that.
Clippers point guard Chris Paul has a contusion in his right kneecap and will not play Monday night against the Memphis Grizzlies at the FedExForum….
Asked if he would play against the Grizzlies, Paul said: “I don’t know yet. If a miracle comes through. I hope so. I want to play, no question. But if I feel like I’ll hinder the team, then I won’t.”
The report says CP3 likely sits out the back-to-back game against the Rockets on Tuesday night. Paul is having an MVP caliber season, averaging 16.9 points, 9.7 assists and 2.6 steals per game and is the main reason the Clippers are 28-9.
Rudy Gay will miss the game for the Grizzlies as he attends his grandmother’s funeral.
Paul’s injury happened in the fourth quarter of the Clippers loss to the Magic over the weekend, when CP3 and J.J. Redick banged knees. Paul played through it but there was swelling later. This shouldn’t be a long-term thing, but maybe a couple of games.
Eric Bledsoe will get the start and that should be interesting — Bledsoe completely outplayed Conley in the playoffs last season. There will be a little extra in that matchup.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 11
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 13
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7