Jan 14, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
The Clippers may be the deepest team in the NBA, but that’s going to get a test Monday. And maybe a little more beyond that.
Clippers point guard Chris Paul has a contusion in his right kneecap and will not play Monday night against the Memphis Grizzlies at the FedExForum….
Asked if he would play against the Grizzlies, Paul said: “I don’t know yet. If a miracle comes through. I hope so. I want to play, no question. But if I feel like I’ll hinder the team, then I won’t.”
The report says CP3 likely sits out the back-to-back game against the Rockets on Tuesday night. Paul is having an MVP caliber season, averaging 16.9 points, 9.7 assists and 2.6 steals per game and is the main reason the Clippers are 28-9.
Rudy Gay will miss the game for the Grizzlies as he attends his grandmother’s funeral.
Paul’s injury happened in the fourth quarter of the Clippers loss to the Magic over the weekend, when CP3 and J.J. Redick banged knees. Paul played through it but there was swelling later. This shouldn’t be a long-term thing, but maybe a couple of games.
Eric Bledsoe will get the start and that should be interesting — Bledsoe completely outplayed Conley in the playoffs last season. There will be a little extra in that matchup.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17