Jan 14, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
The Clippers may be the deepest team in the NBA, but that’s going to get a test Monday. And maybe a little more beyond that.
Clippers point guard Chris Paul has a contusion in his right kneecap and will not play Monday night against the Memphis Grizzlies at the FedExForum….
Asked if he would play against the Grizzlies, Paul said: “I don’t know yet. If a miracle comes through. I hope so. I want to play, no question. But if I feel like I’ll hinder the team, then I won’t.”
The report says CP3 likely sits out the back-to-back game against the Rockets on Tuesday night. Paul is having an MVP caliber season, averaging 16.9 points, 9.7 assists and 2.6 steals per game and is the main reason the Clippers are 28-9.
Rudy Gay will miss the game for the Grizzlies as he attends his grandmother’s funeral.
Paul’s injury happened in the fourth quarter of the Clippers loss to the Magic over the weekend, when CP3 and J.J. Redick banged knees. Paul played through it but there was swelling later. This shouldn’t be a long-term thing, but maybe a couple of games.
Eric Bledsoe will get the start and that should be interesting — Bledsoe completely outplayed Conley in the playoffs last season. There will be a little extra in that matchup.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 5
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (41)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)