Jan 14, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
Only with Andrew Bynum in Philadelphia would a guy walking out on the court and taking a couple stand-still jumpers, working up a couple of beads of sweat, merit a celebration.
But Bynum was the guy Philly was excited to see play this summer, the real center they went and traded Andre Iguodala for (in a multi-team deal), yet he hasn’t played a minute for the Sixers this season due to a knee injury. But he is taking the next step, a public step, in his comeback by taking those shots. Bynum said multiple times he was getting ready to play but we are still a long way from that — he’s running but on and anti-gravity treadmill (that supports some of this weight) and he hadn’t had to do any lateral movement yet. Still, he said he was pain free and that is huge.
Bynum said he hoped to return around the All-Star Break, which is a month from now.
If history is any indication, Sixers fans may not want to become emotionally invested in that date. Just let it play out.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'