Andrew Bynum walks out on court, takes shots. Standing still, but it’s a start. (VIDEO)

Jan 14, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT

Only with Andrew Bynum in Philadelphia would a guy walking out on the court and taking a couple stand-still jumpers, working up a couple of beads of sweat, merit a celebration.

But Bynum was the guy Philly was excited to see play this summer, the real center they went and traded Andre Iguodala for (in a multi-team deal), yet  he hasn’t played a minute for the Sixers this season due to a knee injury. But he is taking the next step, a public step, in his comeback by taking those shots. Bynum said multiple times he was getting ready to play but we are still a long way from that — he’s running but on and anti-gravity treadmill (that supports some of this weight) and he hadn’t had to do any lateral movement yet. Still, he said he was pain free and that is huge.

Bynum said he hoped to return around the All-Star Break, which is a month from now.

If history is any indication, Sixers fans may not want to become emotionally invested in that date. Just let it play out.

1. dko83 - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM

In other news his forearm is progressing ahead of schedule and is ready to be thrust into opposing point guards chests immediately.

2. lucifershuttlesworth - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Why is Vucevic never mentioned as being part of the Bynum trade?

• raidmagic - Jan 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I don’t know but he is a young guy averaging a double double with a bright future in the league. He should be talked about.

3. captainwisdom8888 - Jan 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Sixers are a competitive young team if Bynum can come anywhere near his form from the last two seasons. The half court offense and defense instantly improve

4. thesixersbench - Jan 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Everytime I see a Bynum news report I hold my breath. Scares the hell out of me that he’s our best chance at salvation. If we let him leave this year….I mean, Philly isn’t exactly a free agent hot spot. We need to make this work.

5. eugenesaxe - Jan 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Soo, Philly made that deal to clear out cap space for next year?

6. borderline1988 - Jan 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I like Doug Collins and many of the Sixers players (so I feel bad for them), but I have this feeling that Bynum will play 10 games and then re-aggravate the knee, and be gone for the season.
    There’s just something about that guy, he’s impossible to trust, whether he’s in control of it or not.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches