Jan 14, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
It’s amazing what a few wins in a row can do.
While rumors floated around that Celtics GM Danny Ainge was listening to offers for the Celtics talisman Paul Pierce, the team got Avery Bradley back and started playing better defense.The result has been five straight wins and a renewed sense of confidence around the team.
And with those wins and all that confidence, the odds of a trade seem to go down.
That’s what Ainge implied speaking with the Boston Globe.
The Celtics’ transformation into a true contender may have taken longer than expected and there may be more obstacles as the season progresses, but president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said Sunday that he is content with the roster…
“I think over the next five weeks a lot will be told,” he said. “I feel like we don’t have any glaring needs when we’re playing the way we’re playing. Everyone’s playing their role; whether they’re playing well all the time is not as much of a point if they are accepting a role and giving an honest day’s worth of work.”
In Boston they are pumped about the recent run of play. As they should be. However, the rest of the nation would like to see them sustain it for more than a couple weeks in January before we say they are better than the Knicks or Pacers, before we say they are a real threat to the Heat. (If anyone in the East is a real threat to a focused Heat team.)
But making a big move never really made sense — Ainge maid the conscious decision over the summer to bring back the team (minus Ray Allen, but with Jason Terry, Courtney Lee and Jeff Green) and I think you have to see that through. They could keep playing like they have and be a threat come the playoffs, and if so that’s all Celtics fans could really expect. That they had one more big run in them. Ainge can tinker with the edges of the team, but I think you have to let the run play out then decide next summer if you want to do it again.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 49
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 35
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32