Carmelo Anthony says he has been fasting past 15 days

Jan 13, 2013, 5:02 PM EST

Carmelo Anthony AP

Carmelo Anthony has been getting off to slow starts the past few games, including Sunday when he started 1-of-10 from the floor against the Hornets. He got going after that, had 18 second quarter points and finished with 27, but this was the latest in a string of slow starts.

Why the slow starts? Anthony hasn’t been eating. Literally.

He admitted to being on a 15-day fast and that it was hard for him to feel energized during games. Here are the quotes from Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog:

“I usually do it to get some clarity in my life and spiritual reasons,” Anthony said after going for 27 points and seven boards as the Knicks snapped a three-game losing streak with a 100-87 win over the New Orleans Hornets. “But I’m done now….

“It’s a long story, man,” he said of his fast. “I haven’t had a good meal in about two and a half weeks. No meats, no carbs, anything like that. So I don’t know how I was out there competing at high level. It’s been some games this past week where your body just feels depleted out there and you’re trying to find a way to get some energy.

“But I surrender, I’m done. I’m going to get some food right now.”

Half of New York is willing to take him over to Sal’s and Carmine’s and buy him a slice or two right now.

Deadspin notes this is not the first time, Anthony did this for a stretch with the Nuggets a couple years back, and his play suffered then, too. That time Anthony followed the Daniel Fast, based on a portion of the book of the Bible (said fast allows fruits and vegetables, but no meat or carbs of any kind).

I don ‘t want to get in the way of ‘Melo’s personal search for clarity and his spiritual beliefs, but what professional athlete thinks not eating during the season — when you are playing games, practicing, getting in extra workouts plus the drain of traveling — is a good idea?

That is why there is an off-season. I know some Muslim players fast during the daylight hours during Ramadan, but those players can eat in the evening. This was apparently more than that.

So many good restaurants in New York, I know you’ve got to be healthy Carmelo but it’s time to go out to dinner.

1. dirtyjerseysports - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Fasting….. No Honey Nut Cheerios.

2. clevelandschronic2 - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I call BS.

3. livingsacrifice86 - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I respect everyone’s beliefs. Whether you believe or not, fasting in a “spritual” context is about trusting God during those times of hunger and relying on him. Whether you’re a professional athlete or not, that’s the point.

• danielcp0303 - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:21 PM

You mean trusting science and knowing how the body works?

• dabbindan - Jan 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM

there’s a whole buffet of spiritual choices out there that all claim to have or be the answer. pretty confusing and uncertain. what’s much more clear, is the scientific certainty the body needs generous amounts of carbs, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals replenished DAILY to to function at top athletic form. ask any cyclist or marathoner. proportions are up for discussion, but nobody talks about performing and FASTING!

you want to clear your mind? great. don’t choose a regimen during the season that makes your body pay a price your teammates and team owners can’t afford.

• aymanibrahim810 - Jan 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Actually it’s more than just science, it starts of more so of as spiritual then science because even before science became this reliable Muslims used to fast during Ramadan and even back then they knew the benefits of fasting. Is it something God put in the Quran on accident or coincidence?

• badintent - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Under Ramadan. a Muslim can not eat until 12 a.m. so no pre – game meal

• louhudson23 - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Fasting ends at sunset. In most settings,the mullahs or mutawa determine the true sunset and a cannon is fired to signal the end of the day’s fasting.

• badintent - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:38 AM

My Muslim employee told me this on a work shift with me. So I took his word for it because he waited until 12 am to eat. Maybe he has a hardcore Mullah.Takes all types these days.nice handle, one of my favorite players back in the day.

• badintent - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:41 AM

My bad, It was an August wedding, so sun set was around 10 :30, and after we got slammed at the bar, we finally ate at 12

4. espfdps - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Dirtyjersey: Classic!!! Hahahahahhaha

5. dalucks - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

That is a terrible excuse for his slump. Just man up and say that your shots are not falling.
    It is hard to have spiritual growth if you are blaming it for your failures.

• LPad - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Who said he’s blaming it for his shots not falling? For ex., On 1/5 against the Magic (during his fast) he went for 40 with 6 reb and 6 asts (the last player to go for 40, 6, and 6 was MJ). His slump has really been only Boston, Chicago, and first quarter of the NO game.

6. taron2in1 - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Lies!!!

7. leearmon - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

You are aware that Olajuwon fasted during the playoffs routinely?

8. pricejustin24 - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM

He fasted, and prince fielder is a vegetarian…. Uh huh

9. Gordon - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Excuses

10. stoudemelo - Jan 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Carmelo did the same thing last year.

No “lies or excuses”

11. canuckinamerica - Jan 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Too bad the Knicks can’t “fast” his contract during that time.

• badintent - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Too bad Lungo can’t fast his bloated contract too. Maybe the Canucks will “Eat his contract ” so the Leafs can get him .Does eating his contract qualify as a fast ?? Better hope so or it will be another 4 years without playoff appearance.

12. mazblast - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM

When you’re an alleged professional, you have responsibilities to more than just your spiritual self (whatever THAT is). You have physical responsibilities to your teammates, your coaches, your fans, your organization.

Deal with your spiritual issues on your own time. During the season, your a** is not entirely your own. You’re getting paid to do a job–do it.

• borderline1988 - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:50 PM

In a way, I sort of agree with you, even though it’s religious discrimination. When your religious beliefs are clearly impacting your performance (whether on the court or in a cubicle), how can that be fair to the employer? What happens if Carmelo decides to fast for a whole year? Should the Knicks still pay him?

• mogogo1 - Jan 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I basically agree, but where do you draw the line for what is unacceptable? He had a 40-point game while on this fast. If he were outright missing games, or playing reduced minutes because he was having to walk up the floor, then clearly it would be over the line. But given the choice I’d rather have a guy fasting looking for clarity (or whatever) than staying out every night partying it up, and we know there are plenty of guys doing that constantly.

13. 32magicman - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Attention seeker. Thats why he forced a trade to new york. Does it for the attention. Spiritual reasons? Why dont you give all your millions to the impoverished. Then you will feel more spiritual!

14. tmatic74 - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Why bring it up Melo? No excuses no explanation!!!

15. j0esixpack - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM

So now we know why he thought he thought he heard KG say something about Honey Nut Cheerios!

16. rns46 - Jan 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM

he had some slow starts but finished those games strongs dont think he really needs an excuse knicks missing felton last 2 games he had 37 and 27 matter of fact he got 20 something games in a row 20points or more call me crazy but I think he earning his pay as a matter of fact its scary to think what he gonna do when he gets something to eat

17. redbirdfan81 - Jan 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM

More proof that he’s an idiot, a selfish player, and will NEVER lead his team to a championship.

18. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Jan 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Why he snitchin?

19. BigBeachBall - Jan 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM

if he converts to islam his name would be Carmelababa Ahkbar Antanaba

20. thenmoveback - Jan 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM

And ppl say Lebron can’t stop talking about himself?

21. nokoolaidcowboy - Jan 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM

He’s gonna be eat’in off someone’s padadunka dunk!

22. chucknorrissinspiration - Jan 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Amen mazblast, the guy is on some Ricky Williams shiznizzle pho sho. I’m sure his homies understand though fereal fereal. However in the real world, guys like me better eat right and get a good nights sleep, because if my performance is slippin on the j.o. I’ll be lookin fer new ways to feed my seeds god. And that’s my werd. Harvest yer spiritual nuts in the offseason moron.

23. michaeljordanseviltwin - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM

“So I don’t know how I was out there competing at high level.”

Why don’t you let us be the judge of that, ‘Melo. I typically don’t take player comments seriously but this quote is so self-aggrandizing and irrationally palliative that I must call him out. The quote above is an attempt to change the context of his performance. Rather than owning his slump he asks us to lower our expectations like only a class act superstar would. But the worst part is how the alleged extenuating circumstances are the direct result of his irrational behavior. These men are paid handsomely to battle physically and maintain their body. He throws his fasting out there like its not something subject to critique; rather he sounds to be bragging about his spirituality.

Poor judgment on all accounts, Carmelo. You behave and speak like a teenage boy.

24. ermur22 - Jan 14, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Sooooooo he’s a moron. That is something you do on the off season. A fast is not going to fix your marital problem’s! Get a clue

25. unxpexted1 - Jan 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM

As a person who usually does a fast 2 or 3 times a year. I cant imagine doing it through playing a professional sport. Thats got ot be rough, much respect if thats the case. I know I personally try to do it during the day because the more stress you put on the body the harder it is. Going to work while on a fast can be troublesome on a desk job let alone something that requires you to be active. But obviously he was able to drop 27 on said fast so obviously it wasnt too much of a hinderance. I would assume the timing of the fast has to do with most Christian churches(like mine) that do a fast to start the new year.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches