Carmelo Anthony says he has been fasting past 15 days

Jan 13, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT

Carmelo Anthony AP

Carmelo Anthony has been getting off to slow starts the past few games, including Sunday when he started 1-of-10 from the floor against the Hornets. He got going after that, had 18 second quarter points and finished with 27, but this was the latest in a string of slow starts.

Why the slow starts? Anthony hasn’t been eating. Literally.

He admitted to being on a 15-day fast and that it was hard for him to feel energized during games. Here are the quotes from Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog:

“I usually do it to get some clarity in my life and spiritual reasons,” Anthony said after going for 27 points and seven boards as the Knicks snapped a three-game losing streak with a 100-87 win over the New Orleans Hornets. “But I’m done now….

“It’s a long story, man,” he said of his fast. “I haven’t had a good meal in about two and a half weeks. No meats, no carbs, anything like that. So I don’t know how I was out there competing at high level. It’s been some games this past week where your body just feels depleted out there and you’re trying to find a way to get some energy.

“But I surrender, I’m done. I’m going to get some food right now.”

Half of New York is willing to take him over to Sal’s and Carmine’s and buy him a slice or two right now.

Deadspin notes this is not the first time, Anthony did this for a stretch with the Nuggets a couple years back, and his play suffered then, too. That time Anthony followed the Daniel Fast, based on a portion of the book of the Bible (said fast allows fruits and vegetables, but no meat or carbs of any kind).

I don ‘t want to get in the way of ‘Melo’s personal search for clarity and his spiritual beliefs, but what professional athlete thinks not eating during the season — when you are playing games, practicing, getting in extra workouts plus the drain of traveling — is a good idea?

That is why there is an off-season. I know some Muslim players fast during the daylight hours during Ramadan, but those players can eat in the evening. This was apparently more than that.

So many good restaurants in New York, I know you’ve got to be healthy Carmelo but it’s time to go out to dinner.

1. unxpexted1 - Jan 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

vacation*

2. unxpexted1 - Jan 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I feel like its crazy disrespectful to knock a man during a fast. Maybe because I can relate or what not, cause i’ve never been a fan of Anthony the basketball player(even tho he’s ballin this year), but he’s a man first and any improvements he feel like he can make as a man let him do it. He’s not “hurting” is team because of it. If any thing when he comes back renewed he will be more of an asset if his mind was in a bad place. There plenty of reasons and times to criticize a person but, to get on someone trying to better themselves spiritual no matter when time is just uneccessary. If you have fasted before you would truly understand how difficult it is.

Also, I find it interesting that this thing with KG happen during this time because usually when you are fasting some of the most craziest temptations came at you and you’re weakest points are always tested. Melo always been kind of an moody dude, so doesnt surprise me that this KG thing happened at the time it did.

3. wallacejay - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Fruits and vegetables contain carbs…

4. butterfacesareok - Jan 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Believe in hell or not, you either turn or you burn! Science is a lie, science says we came from a rock, if you believe that than your as dumb as the rock you were created from!

5. butterfacesareok - Jan 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Props to melo, and trust me whether melo plays good or not i dont feel bad for the employer, he eats off of melo more than melo eats off him! As a believer melo is now in my top 3 players, illuminati james sold his soul to the devil and couldn’t do it the hard way like jordan! All everyone knows are the lies in which society and the government feed us! educate your self instead of believing what news tells ya! Remember the devil promised jesus such things what makes you think he don’t do that to us! The bible is the truth, everything else is a lie!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches