Jan 12, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Steve Novak has adopted the “discount double check” as his go-to celebration for hitting big three-pointers. It’s the same one Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has made famous on the football field, and then even more so after appearing in a series of insurance commercials.
The celebration is weak by NBA standards, but hey, to each his own. Whether you like it or not, it is unquestionably Novak’s, in that he’s the one known for bringing it to the professional basketball court.
Nate Robinson of the Bulls decided it was just fine to use it himself on Friday, doing it twice in the second quarter while facing Novak’s Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Robinson’s threes were part of a run that blew the game open for Chicago, and helped them to beat the Knicks for the third time this season.
No one believes that Robinson wasn’t aware that he was mocking Novak by doing this, and afterward, Novak was asked about Robinson’s antics. He referred to Robinson as “Little Nathan” while questioning his maturity, and possibly was taking a shot at Robinson’s diminutive physical stature, as well.
It’s a funny enough response from Novak, although if you don’t want other teams’ players celebrating on your home court or mocking you in the process, it’s real simple — stop them from hitting shots and play some defense to avoid getting blown out while the game is actually taking place.
Robinson obviously heard about Novak’s comments, and posted the following response to his Twitter account Friday night.
— Nate Robinson (@nate_robinson) January 12, 2013
The Knicks and the Bulls will meet for the final time during the regular season in Chicago on April 11.
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 0
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 30
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 8