Jan 12, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Steve Novak has adopted the “discount double check” as his go-to celebration for hitting big three-pointers. It’s the same one Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has made famous on the football field, and then even more so after appearing in a series of insurance commercials.
The celebration is weak by NBA standards, but hey, to each his own. Whether you like it or not, it is unquestionably Novak’s, in that he’s the one known for bringing it to the professional basketball court.
Nate Robinson of the Bulls decided it was just fine to use it himself on Friday, doing it twice in the second quarter while facing Novak’s Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Robinson’s threes were part of a run that blew the game open for Chicago, and helped them to beat the Knicks for the third time this season.
No one believes that Robinson wasn’t aware that he was mocking Novak by doing this, and afterward, Novak was asked about Robinson’s antics. He referred to Robinson as “Little Nathan” while questioning his maturity, and possibly was taking a shot at Robinson’s diminutive physical stature, as well.
It’s a funny enough response from Novak, although if you don’t want other teams’ players celebrating on your home court or mocking you in the process, it’s real simple — stop them from hitting shots and play some defense to avoid getting blown out while the game is actually taking place.
Robinson obviously heard about Novak’s comments, and posted the following response to his Twitter account Friday night.
— Nate Robinson (@nate_robinson) January 12, 2013
The Knicks and the Bulls will meet for the final time during the regular season in Chicago on April 11.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31