Jan 12, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Steve Novak has adopted the “discount double check” as his go-to celebration for hitting big three-pointers. It’s the same one Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has made famous on the football field, and then even more so after appearing in a series of insurance commercials.
The celebration is weak by NBA standards, but hey, to each his own. Whether you like it or not, it is unquestionably Novak’s, in that he’s the one known for bringing it to the professional basketball court.
Nate Robinson of the Bulls decided it was just fine to use it himself on Friday, doing it twice in the second quarter while facing Novak’s Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Robinson’s threes were part of a run that blew the game open for Chicago, and helped them to beat the Knicks for the third time this season.
No one believes that Robinson wasn’t aware that he was mocking Novak by doing this, and afterward, Novak was asked about Robinson’s antics. He referred to Robinson as “Little Nathan” while questioning his maturity, and possibly was taking a shot at Robinson’s diminutive physical stature, as well.
It’s a funny enough response from Novak, although if you don’t want other teams’ players celebrating on your home court or mocking you in the process, it’s real simple — stop them from hitting shots and play some defense to avoid getting blown out while the game is actually taking place.
Robinson obviously heard about Novak’s comments, and posted the following response to his Twitter account Friday night.
— Nate Robinson (@nate_robinson) January 12, 2013
The Knicks and the Bulls will meet for the final time during the regular season in Chicago on April 11.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)