Jan 12, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
The Grizzlies struggled through a brief 2-4 stretch, but have recovered nicely to win four straight, including Friday night’s overtime home thriller against the San Antonio Spurs.
Gay is the team’s leading scorer, and with the way the Grizzlies have played for the bulk of the season, head coach Lionel Hollins is understandably not in favor of messing with the team’s chemistry while things are going so well.
Hollins told anyone who would listen on Friday that he’s not in favor of making any mid-season deals.
“I like our team,” Hollins said, while appearing on local radio in Memphis. “I like the way we’ve grown the last few years, our maturity, and I would certainly as a coach like to keep our team together and see where we go this year. If management decides after the season is over that they want to move somebody for whatever reason, we’ll deal with that. But in the middle of a season, as successful as we are, it would be a big letdown.”
It’s unclear how much say Hollins has within the organization as far as personnel matters are concerned, and the finances surrounding Gay’s contract — one where’s he’s owed in the neighborhood of $37 million over the next two years — may ultimately have more to do with him being dealt than the win-loss record of the Grizzlies this season.
What is clear, though, is that the front line players in Memphis and defensive intensity with which the Grizzlies play will make them a tough matchup for any team in the postseason.
If the team decides to shake things up by moving a key offensive piece like Gay, Hollins knows that could change everything, at which point all bets on the Grizzlies’ postseason chances would immediately be off.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18