Vannesa Bryant, Kobe formally call off divorce

Jan 11, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT

London Olympics Swimming AP

Every marriage faces ups and downs. It’s work. But most of us don’t have to do that work in the glare of the public spotlight.

Vanessa and Kobe Bryant do. And they are making it work. The two have formally have called off their divorce. Vanessa put it on Instagram, Kobe on Facebook on Friday night.

Vanessa had filed for divorce more than a year ago, in December 2011. However the two were seen together pretty regularly within a few months. Last summer Vanessa and their daughters were in London for the Olympics where Kobe was picking up another gold medal.

I hope it works out. Honestly, no snark. Kobe and Vanessa have kids, and I’m not about to root against anybody’s marriage. I’m not sure it will be happily ever after, but I get the impression they are willing to work on it.

1. dalucks - Jan 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I thought Kobe would have went through with the divorce since he wants to follow in Michael Jordan’s footsteps. Kobe’s last two years in LA will be like Michael Jordan wearing the Wizards uniform.
    Definitely headed that way.

2. badintent - Jan 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I’m happy for the children, they do deseve a full time dad.. Now, where did Vanessa implant that micro chip in Kobe ? She can GPS track him on road trips.NIce

3. monkeyhateclean - Jan 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Kobe’s lawyers did the math: buy her another $10 mil ring, or pay her $4 mil per month in alimony/child support. Either way, she gets paid, and he gets to continue plowing Laker Girls…

• badintent - Jan 12, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Too close to home,he works out on road trips, when in Boston he wants some
      of KG’s Honeynutt Hoe

• monkeyhateclean - Jan 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Duly noted!

4. hojo20 - Jan 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Kobe should’ve never gotten married.

5. BigBeachBall - Jan 12, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Vanessa wanted to start her own basketball wives reality show, kobe wasnt having it, then she broke down and now their back together…

6. dko83 - Jan 12, 2013 at 3:52 AM

He should use that half of his fortune he set aside for said divorce and buy some team chemistry.

7. 00maltliquor - Jan 12, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Love Kobe. Hate Kobe. Laker fan or Laker hater….this is great news.

F bball, all BS aside, this is cool.

Man, I’m LUCKY I grew up in a 2 parent household, and in this day and age that is BEYOND rare. I’ve seen firsthand how it screws up the kids.

I am ALL about the kids living a normal, happy, healthy life. GOOD LUCK Mamba and Vanessa. Marriage IS definatly HARD work but at least y’all willing to work at it instead of chosing the “easy” route. Cheers to that!

That’s all I got to say about that in a nutshell. BBall is dope, but Family is much, MUCH more important then anything in life. Good luck you two.

• loungefly74 - Jan 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM

well said, malt. lucky as well to grow up in a 2 parent house…my “original parents!”

8. omniusprime - Jan 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM

At least one thing went right for Kobe this season. I’m happy for Kobe and Vanessa, but most importantly for the children. I hope they can work everything out and indeed live happily ever after.

Go Kobe!!!

9. jason9696 - Jan 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Too bad. The guy’s a real punk.

10. themagicfanguy - Jan 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Probably bought her another ring.

• cantonbound13 - Jan 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Even Vanessa has more rings than Queen James.

11. dirtydrew - Jan 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM

No matter what we think of Kobe or L.A. Teams in general, it is good his family is staying together. I hope he is worthy of this second chance.

12. thefox61 - Jan 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Who cares?

• socalgal64 - Jan 13, 2013 at 12:59 AM

You cared enough to respond.

13. ocgunslinger - Jan 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Only a real dirt bag would have a negative comment about Kobe and Vanessa (or anyone for that matter) working to keep a marriage together that involves young children.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches