Jan 11, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
What bugs me about this report is how vague it is — outside of Rudy Gay, who is pretty publically being shopped around, we don’t have any names or details. We don’t know how serious all this really was.
But when Gay was a free agent, Minnesota GM David Kahn had plans of talking to him, so it makes sense for the Memphis front office to call and see if the interest is still there. Apparently not at whatever price he Grizzlies requested, reports Darren Wolfson of ESPN 1500 radio.
So, this is Kahn’s chance to land a player he has long coveted. But according to a league source, he turned down a trade proposal from Memphis for Gay recently. In fact, the source insists Kahn said no immediately.
Only two words would make Kahn say no that quickly: “Love” and “Rubio.”
And frankly, if I’m Memphis and looking to trade a borderline All-Star player like Gay, those are the only two names on the Minnesota roster I want to hear. Derrick Williams is nice player with potential, but he’s a throw in on a deal like this.
What this really shows is that Gay may not get moved by the deadline — making a deal for a guy who can give you 17.8 points a game and great defense but who has $37 million left on his contract after this season is not simple. Not if you want quality back.
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 6
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 24
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6