Jan 11, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
What bugs me about this report is how vague it is — outside of Rudy Gay, who is pretty publically being shopped around, we don’t have any names or details. We don’t know how serious all this really was.
But when Gay was a free agent, Minnesota GM David Kahn had plans of talking to him, so it makes sense for the Memphis front office to call and see if the interest is still there. Apparently not at whatever price he Grizzlies requested, reports Darren Wolfson of ESPN 1500 radio.
So, this is Kahn’s chance to land a player he has long coveted. But according to a league source, he turned down a trade proposal from Memphis for Gay recently. In fact, the source insists Kahn said no immediately.
Only two words would make Kahn say no that quickly: “Love” and “Rubio.”
And frankly, if I’m Memphis and looking to trade a borderline All-Star player like Gay, those are the only two names on the Minnesota roster I want to hear. Derrick Williams is nice player with potential, but he’s a throw in on a deal like this.
What this really shows is that Gay may not get moved by the deadline — making a deal for a guy who can give you 17.8 points a game and great defense but who has $37 million left on his contract after this season is not simple. Not if you want quality back.
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 2
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35