Jan 11, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
What bugs me about this report is how vague it is — outside of Rudy Gay, who is pretty publically being shopped around, we don’t have any names or details. We don’t know how serious all this really was.
But when Gay was a free agent, Minnesota GM David Kahn had plans of talking to him, so it makes sense for the Memphis front office to call and see if the interest is still there. Apparently not at whatever price he Grizzlies requested, reports Darren Wolfson of ESPN 1500 radio.
So, this is Kahn’s chance to land a player he has long coveted. But according to a league source, he turned down a trade proposal from Memphis for Gay recently. In fact, the source insists Kahn said no immediately.
Only two words would make Kahn say no that quickly: “Love” and “Rubio.”
And frankly, if I’m Memphis and looking to trade a borderline All-Star player like Gay, those are the only two names on the Minnesota roster I want to hear. Derrick Williams is nice player with potential, but he’s a throw in on a deal like this.
What this really shows is that Gay may not get moved by the deadline — making a deal for a guy who can give you 17.8 points a game and great defense but who has $37 million left on his contract after this season is not simple. Not if you want quality back.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 1
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 8
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6