Jan 11, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
The fact that teams would seriously consider signing Greg Oden to a contract, a guy that hasn’t played in the NBA since 2009 and missed most of four seasons before that, speaks to two things:
1) The dearth of quality big men in the NBA.
2) Just how good Greg Oden was back in the day, the potential he had, that all these years later teams think he maybe could contribute someday.
Oden is taking classes at Ohio State and working to get back into shape to potentially make another another comeback. And teams including the Heat would have interest if he does.
The latest team to reportedly have interest is the Dallas Mavericks, reports ESPNDallas.com.
A source told ESPNDallas.com that the Mavs have been among the teams in contact with Oden’s agent, Mike Conley Sr., while the 7-footer rehabs from his third microfracture surgery and takes classes at Ohio State.
Oden likely would not return to the court until next season — if he is able to return at all — but interested teams would love to lock him up with a multi-year deal (with team options) and have him rehab with team doctors and trainers. Basically, get him off the market before anyone else signs him up.
But Oden seems comfortable taking his time. As he should. He has come to peace with this more than most, he knows there is no rush. If he wants to do this it is a long, hard process. He just needs to take a step everyday and make a move when he is ready.
I’d still be shocked — happy for him, but shocked — if he ever played again. But with the state of big men in the NBA today teams are willing to take a chance.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 39
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4