Jan 11, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
Danny Ainge faces the same question at we start to approach the trace deadline that he did last summer — does the Celtics core have one more run in them?
This summer the answer seemed to be yes, when Ainge signed Kevin Garnett to a new deal and got all the band back together save Ray Allen. Then the band got off to a slow and unimpressive 19-17 start and while the defense has started to come back around since the return of Avery Bradley the big picture question still looms. Can this team beat the Heat in the playoffs? The Knicks? The Pacers?
Team executives involved in exploratory trade talks report that the Knicks (Amar’e Stoudemire), Lakers (Pau Gasol), Raptors (Andrea Bargnani) and Celtics (Paul Pierce) are open to discussing their high-profile names. In every case but one, the early indications are that none could be moved without a bad contract going back in return… The lone exception, executives say, may be Pierce, whose ruthless scoring prowess and championship experience come with another attractive feature: only $4 million of his $15.3 million salary is guaranteed next season.
This is what Ainge does, he listens to a log of blockbusters, then ends up sticking with what he has. He did it with Rondo, he’s doing it with Pierce.
I can’t imagine the Celtics trading Pierce, the captain, the second leading scorer in franchise history. He is the Celtics talisman on this team. Now, if it was a trade for Rudy Gay the Celtics might have to consider it… for a minute.
Then realize they have won five in a row, they are starting to look like a playoff threat, and that the uproar over trading Pierce would not be worth any benefit from the move (even if it were for Gay). I just can ‘t see it.
But, it’s out there. And stranger things have happened.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18