Jan 11, 2013, 12:02 PM EST
This year, the Lakers are under the NBA’s media magnifying glass. They are getting the national attention, they are the assembled “super team,” they are the soap opera. And they are struggling, which keeps people looking at you far longer than winning.
The Miami Heat are maybe the one team that can relate — remember when they formed their super team they had to host training camp on a military base to get some privacy — but LeBron and Wade were not exactly sympathetic to Los Angeles, as reported by the Miami Herald. They think the Lakers are getting off easy.
“No one will ever be able to compare what we went through,” James said. “Even though they’re not winning and they’re losing a lot of games, it’s still nowhere near what we went through.
“Yeah, right. That level of magnitude was nowhere near where ours was two years ago. Nothing. Nothing compares to it.”
“Because of everything that happened in 2010 with offseason signings, it was, automatically, just a lot of negative things that was said about us,” Wade said. “[Los Angeles] didn’t go through that at the beginning. They didn’t go through anything negative about bringing those guys together, so ours started off bad and it stayed bad for a while, and then we got better.”
Well, the Lakers were smart enough not to have a pep rally.
But LeBron and Wade a lot like your curmudgeonly grandfather.
“Back when we formed a super-team we didn’t have it easy like these kids today, with their positive press and not being a national scourge. Back in our day you were hated when you formed a super team, and the hate these days is just not the same as it was when we were young.
“And get off my lawn.”
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)