Jan 11, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
This year, the Lakers are under the NBA’s media magnifying glass. They are getting the national attention, they are the assembled “super team,” they are the soap opera. And they are struggling, which keeps people looking at you far longer than winning.
The Miami Heat are maybe the one team that can relate — remember when they formed their super team they had to host training camp on a military base to get some privacy — but LeBron and Wade were not exactly sympathetic to Los Angeles, as reported by the Miami Herald. They think the Lakers are getting off easy.
“No one will ever be able to compare what we went through,” James said. “Even though they’re not winning and they’re losing a lot of games, it’s still nowhere near what we went through.
“Yeah, right. That level of magnitude was nowhere near where ours was two years ago. Nothing. Nothing compares to it.”
“Because of everything that happened in 2010 with offseason signings, it was, automatically, just a lot of negative things that was said about us,” Wade said. “[Los Angeles] didn’t go through that at the beginning. They didn’t go through anything negative about bringing those guys together, so ours started off bad and it stayed bad for a while, and then we got better.”
Well, the Lakers were smart enough not to have a pep rally.
But LeBron and Wade a lot like your curmudgeonly grandfather.
“Back when we formed a super-team we didn’t have it easy like these kids today, with their positive press and not being a national scourge. Back in our day you were hated when you formed a super team, and the hate these days is just not the same as it was when we were young.
“And get off my lawn.”
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10