Jan 11, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
This year, the Lakers are under the NBA’s media magnifying glass. They are getting the national attention, they are the assembled “super team,” they are the soap opera. And they are struggling, which keeps people looking at you far longer than winning.
The Miami Heat are maybe the one team that can relate — remember when they formed their super team they had to host training camp on a military base to get some privacy — but LeBron and Wade were not exactly sympathetic to Los Angeles, as reported by the Miami Herald. They think the Lakers are getting off easy.
“No one will ever be able to compare what we went through,” James said. “Even though they’re not winning and they’re losing a lot of games, it’s still nowhere near what we went through.
“Yeah, right. That level of magnitude was nowhere near where ours was two years ago. Nothing. Nothing compares to it.”
“Because of everything that happened in 2010 with offseason signings, it was, automatically, just a lot of negative things that was said about us,” Wade said. “[Los Angeles] didn’t go through that at the beginning. They didn’t go through anything negative about bringing those guys together, so ours started off bad and it stayed bad for a while, and then we got better.”
Well, the Lakers were smart enough not to have a pep rally.
But LeBron and Wade a lot like your curmudgeonly grandfather.
“Back when we formed a super-team we didn’t have it easy like these kids today, with their positive press and not being a national scourge. Back in our day you were hated when you formed a super team, and the hate these days is just not the same as it was when we were young.
“And get off my lawn.”
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 21
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 18
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead