Jan 11, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Friday night Jordan Hill showed up in street clothes to Staples Center and didn’t look good limping down the hall. Slowly. It hurt to watch him walk.
Turns out it was with good reason — he needs hip surgery and will be out for the season, the Lakers reported.
After seeing the team doctor and a hip specialist it was determined he had loose fragments as well as a possible labral tear, the Lakers announced. Basically, it makes it painful to walk, let alone run and jump. The only way to fix it is surgery that will cost him the rest of the season.
Nobody is going to confuse Hill with an elite big man, but when he would enter games for the Lakers and sub out the older, banged-up bodies of Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol, you saw a jump in energy. Hill hustled. The Lakers will miss that. They also are not exactly deep with quality along the front line and while Earl Clark has had a nice couple games this is a blow an already struggling team didn’t need.
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 25
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 44
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 15
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55