Jan 11, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Friday night Jordan Hill showed up in street clothes to Staples Center and didn’t look good limping down the hall. Slowly. It hurt to watch him walk.
Turns out it was with good reason — he needs hip surgery and will be out for the season, the Lakers reported.
After seeing the team doctor and a hip specialist it was determined he had loose fragments as well as a possible labral tear, the Lakers announced. Basically, it makes it painful to walk, let alone run and jump. The only way to fix it is surgery that will cost him the rest of the season.
Nobody is going to confuse Hill with an elite big man, but when he would enter games for the Lakers and sub out the older, banged-up bodies of Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol, you saw a jump in energy. Hill hustled. The Lakers will miss that. They also are not exactly deep with quality along the front line and while Earl Clark has had a nice couple games this is a blow an already struggling team didn’t need.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3