Jan 11, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Friday night Jordan Hill showed up in street clothes to Staples Center and didn’t look good limping down the hall. Slowly. It hurt to watch him walk.
Turns out it was with good reason — he needs hip surgery and will be out for the season, the Lakers reported.
After seeing the team doctor and a hip specialist it was determined he had loose fragments as well as a possible labral tear, the Lakers announced. Basically, it makes it painful to walk, let alone run and jump. The only way to fix it is surgery that will cost him the rest of the season.
Nobody is going to confuse Hill with an elite big man, but when he would enter games for the Lakers and sub out the older, banged-up bodies of Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol, you saw a jump in energy. Hill hustled. The Lakers will miss that. They also are not exactly deep with quality along the front line and while Earl Clark has had a nice couple games this is a blow an already struggling team didn’t need.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48