Jan 11, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Friday night Jordan Hill showed up in street clothes to Staples Center and didn’t look good limping down the hall. Slowly. It hurt to watch him walk.
Turns out it was with good reason — he needs hip surgery and will be out for the season, the Lakers reported.
After seeing the team doctor and a hip specialist it was determined he had loose fragments as well as a possible labral tear, the Lakers announced. Basically, it makes it painful to walk, let alone run and jump. The only way to fix it is surgery that will cost him the rest of the season.
Nobody is going to confuse Hill with an elite big man, but when he would enter games for the Lakers and sub out the older, banged-up bodies of Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol, you saw a jump in energy. Hill hustled. The Lakers will miss that. They also are not exactly deep with quality along the front line and while Earl Clark has had a nice couple games this is a blow an already struggling team didn’t need.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61