Jan 11, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
Your reward: Cover Kevin Durant Friday night.
The Lakers need to start winning games fast if they want to even make the playoffs (they need to go 30-17 the rest of the way to get to 45 wins, and that may not be enough in a deep West) and it doesn’t get any easier Friday night with Durant, Russell Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder coming to town.
And the Lakers get to face OKC shorthanded — Pau Gasol met with doctors again but was not cleared to play, tweets Lakers.com reporter and television sideline reporter Mike Trudell. That after a concussion caused by an inadvertent JaVale McGee elbow last Sunday night. Also out is Dwight Howard with a torn labrum (he will be re-evaluated next week) and Jordan Hill (hip).
So the Lakers are trying this lineup to break their five-game losing streak:
Earl Clark will start tonight against OKC, alongside Nash, Kobe, MWP & Sacre. He’ll start out defending Durant. #DukeofEarl
— Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter) January 11, 2013
The idea is to have Kobe Bryant on Westbrook. The concerns there for the Lakers are Kobe getting in foul trouble from and aggressive Westbrook and the energy he has to expend on defense and what that might do to his offense. This season the Lakers have an offensive rating of 113.6 point per 100 possessions when Kobe is on the court (that would be the best in the league) and 99.7 when he sits (that would be 22nd in the league). The Lakers can’t win without the very best of Kobe.
And of Earl Clark, too.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61