Jan 11, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
Your reward: Cover Kevin Durant Friday night.
The Lakers need to start winning games fast if they want to even make the playoffs (they need to go 30-17 the rest of the way to get to 45 wins, and that may not be enough in a deep West) and it doesn’t get any easier Friday night with Durant, Russell Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder coming to town.
And the Lakers get to face OKC shorthanded — Pau Gasol met with doctors again but was not cleared to play, tweets Lakers.com reporter and television sideline reporter Mike Trudell. That after a concussion caused by an inadvertent JaVale McGee elbow last Sunday night. Also out is Dwight Howard with a torn labrum (he will be re-evaluated next week) and Jordan Hill (hip).
So the Lakers are trying this lineup to break their five-game losing streak:
Earl Clark will start tonight against OKC, alongside Nash, Kobe, MWP & Sacre. He’ll start out defending Durant. #DukeofEarl
— Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter) January 11, 2013
The idea is to have Kobe Bryant on Westbrook. The concerns there for the Lakers are Kobe getting in foul trouble from and aggressive Westbrook and the energy he has to expend on defense and what that might do to his offense. This season the Lakers have an offensive rating of 113.6 point per 100 possessions when Kobe is on the court (that would be the best in the league) and 99.7 when he sits (that would be 22nd in the league). The Lakers can’t win without the very best of Kobe.
And of Earl Clark, too.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 5
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 9
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7