Jan 11, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins acts like the world just happens to him. He’s a passive bystander who just somehow keeps ending up in all these bad situations.
Like say, getting ejected after pushing Vince Carter in the face.
Which is what happened on Thursday night in overtime of the Kings loss to the Mavericks. Cousins said after the game it was unintentional, reports NBA.com.
“It wasn’t intentional,” DeMarcus Cousins pleaded.
Cousins realizes that a suspension is likely coming of this, but he seems to think things keep happening to him rather than him causing them.
“I’m pretty sure that my reputation will come into play with this decision,” Cousins told reporters afterward, slumped at his locker. “But hopefully they realize that it wasn’t intentional….
“I swear, no matter how hard I try, some type of way it happens,” Cousins said. “It’s frustrating. Like no matter how hard I try, they find a way.”
It happens because you swear at your coach. Or you push an opposing player in the face. Or a host of things that you do to cause this, it doesn’t just happen to you.
Cousins is emotional, fiery and when he lost the ball with 41 seconds left in overtime he made a frustrated reaction — then realized it before Carter even hit the floor. Cousins tried to catch him and went to the ground with him. But by then it was too late.
On top of it all, Cousins is immensely talented — he had 29 points on just 14 shots plus had 9 rebounds against the Mavericks. And that is why no matter who owns the Kings in a month they aren’t trading him.
Instead they will wait for him to figure it out. The question is how long a wait that will be.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 16
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4