Jan 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
While there was a buzz around the name Phil Jackson — and not just because he finally got engaged — it was pretty clear early on that P.J. Carlesimo could ride out the season as the Nets coach after ownership sent Avery Johnson packing.
That became even more likely when Carlesimo got the Nets winning — he is 6-1 as coach.
Now comes confirmation that nothing is going to change for the rest of the season from Mike Mazzeo of ESPNNewYork.ocm.
P.J. “almost certain” to remain #Nets coach for the rest of the season, source says. Players like how he lets them play thru mistakes.
— Mike Mazzeo (@MazzESPN) January 11, 2013
Smart move by the Nets. Another coaching change mid-season isn’t going to help the team. And even if you can get Phil Jackson — which I doubt — bringing him in with a new, complex offense and style of play nearly halfway through the season is just going to be a mess.
So Carlesimo gets the stay in the big chair for a while.
But let’s look at this hot streak — the Nets have beaten the Bobcats, Cavaliers, Wizards, Kings and 76ers during the streak. They have gotten healthy on the worst in the NBA, with the Suns and Raptors making up two of the next three games. To be fair, there is a win over the Thunder in there, too. (The loss was to the Spurs.) The Nets seem to be having more fun on the court, credit Carlesimo with that. But they haven’t exactly gotten healthy against the best of the NBA.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38