Jan 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
While there was a buzz around the name Phil Jackson — and not just because he finally got engaged — it was pretty clear early on that P.J. Carlesimo could ride out the season as the Nets coach after ownership sent Avery Johnson packing.
That became even more likely when Carlesimo got the Nets winning — he is 6-1 as coach.
Now comes confirmation that nothing is going to change for the rest of the season from Mike Mazzeo of ESPNNewYork.ocm.
P.J. “almost certain” to remain #Nets coach for the rest of the season, source says. Players like how he lets them play thru mistakes.
— Mike Mazzeo (@MazzESPN) January 11, 2013
Smart move by the Nets. Another coaching change mid-season isn’t going to help the team. And even if you can get Phil Jackson — which I doubt — bringing him in with a new, complex offense and style of play nearly halfway through the season is just going to be a mess.
So Carlesimo gets the stay in the big chair for a while.
But let’s look at this hot streak — the Nets have beaten the Bobcats, Cavaliers, Wizards, Kings and 76ers during the streak. They have gotten healthy on the worst in the NBA, with the Suns and Raptors making up two of the next three games. To be fair, there is a win over the Thunder in there, too. (The loss was to the Spurs.) The Nets seem to be having more fun on the court, credit Carlesimo with that. But they haven’t exactly gotten healthy against the best of the NBA.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4