Jan 10, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Apparently, no one has ever told Nate Robinson that pride comes before the fall.
Starting in place of Kirk Hinrich, Robinson came out on fire last night against the Milwaukee Bucks. He lit up Brandon Jennings early on by dropping 13 points in the first quarter, and the Bulls were really cruising.
But during all that, Robinson may have gotten a little overconfident. He may have tweaked Brandon Jennings just a little too much. Here’s Mike McGraw of the Daily Herald with the story:
Robinson’s early hot streak might have played a hand in the Bulls’ downfall. When Jennings got going in the second half, he often mimicked Robinson’s jet plane imitation after hitting big shots.
“Yeah, a little trash talking before the second half,” Jennings said after donning a Led Zeppelin T-shirt in the Milwaukee locker room. “I guess he felt like he had it going, was getting the best of me.
“I really don’t take trash-talking too kindly because I don’t do a lot of trash talking. I warned him. It happens.”
Okay, whoa. Let’s start with Brandon Jennings mimicking Nate Robinson’s “jet plane imitation” that really belongs to Jason “The Jet” Terry who actually stole his nickname from Kenny “The Jet” Smith who may or may not have lifted it from former Chicago Bull Chet “The Jet” Walker. Got all that? Good.
Second, let’s point out Jennings wearing a Led Zeppelin shirt postgame, which is nice because I was beginning to worry about the musical aptitude of the league’s young point guards, with John Wall not knowing who Bon Jovi is and all.
But more importantly, let’s talk about how Jennings responded in the third quarter. With the Bucks still down and Robinson chirping in his ear, Jennings hauled off for 20 points in the third frame alone, giving the Bucks a lead they would ultimately hold on to.
Now, you don’t want to blame Nate Robinson entirely here. It would be unfair to hold Robinson responsible for Jennings, a 40 percent shooter, hitting everything he threw up.
But seriously, Nate? Your scoring performance and that big early lead was found money. You shouldn’t have gone waiving it around in Brandon Jennings’ face, because he snatched it right back.
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, leaves dent (VIDEO) 0
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 5
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 5
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29