John Wall, adidas announce long-term partnership

Jan 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT

John Wall AP

John Wall is very close to returning to the court for the Wizards, and when he does finally make it back, he’ll do so with adidas on his feet.

Wall and adidas announced a long-term partnership agreement on Thursday, which marked the end of Wall’s deal to represent Reebok. From the official release:

“I’ve enjoyed my time with Reebok and I’m grateful for everything we accomplished the last few years,” said Wall. “Now, I’m excited to return to the court soon and begin my new partnership with adidas. They’ve changed the game with new technology and style and I can’t wait to be a part of it.”

“John Wall is a great talent and his quickness, superior athleticism and personality make him one of the most exciting young players in the game,” said Lawrence Norman, adidas vice president of global basketball. “We’re excited to partner with John to continue to develop new innovative products and grow our brand and business.”

Reebok was releasing ads for Wall as recently as November of last year, but apparently a decision was made that it wasn’t worth it for the company to keep him on its roster.

Wall joins the likes of Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, Ricky Rubio, Kenneth Faried, and Iman Shumpert as part of the adidas family. He’s expected to be featured in future ad campaigns, as well as have a hand in developing basketball footwear and apparel.

1. gmsalpha - Jan 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Great lateral move for John Wall, since adidas owns Reebok. Much like when Dwyane Wade moved from Converse to Jordan, with both being owned by Nike.

Reebok should quite frankly exit the basketball market (imo) and if they have anyone left, give them adidas kicks.

With that said, I’m not sure John Wall is ever going to live up to the lofty expectations of the #1 pick.

• goraidersgospurs - Jan 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Don’t knock reebok they have some all time great sneakers like

The Question

E22

Reebok Kamikaze II

Reebok Shaqnosis

Reebok Pump D-Time!!!

• gmsalpha - Jan 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM

All-time great sneakers, yes.

But in the last 5 years, they’ve been largely irrelevant. I did buy a pair of Zigs a few years back and for every day use, they were great. But kept getting little acorns and pebbles stuck between the zigs. I also have a pair of white Reebok Classics that I wear for work, and they’re great for what they are. But they’ll never regain their basketball cred. I don’t think so, anyway.

2. blakspartan - Jan 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I agree I do not think John wall will live up to the hype he will end up as a decent role player

• saint1997 - Jan 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM

a decent role player??? Man some people are just plain stupid! he may not be able to carry a franchise but if you knew the slightest about basketball you would realise that he will be so much more than a ‘role player’

• camnellum12 - Jan 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Exactly, John is the prototype PG in the NBA, he excels at a lot of aspects excluding shooting. To say he can’t lead a team is premature, because who has he had on his 2011 or 2012 teams? This may be Walls’ best lineup in his pro career. I guess people written him off because he hasn’t made the jump quick enough to their standards….

• saint1997 - Jan 12, 2013 at 6:04 AM

absolutely correct my friend. With Nene to run P&R with (which he was doing exactly at the end of last year) and Beal, Crawford, Martin etc. to kick to this team both on the court and off the court is the best they have had.

3. Gordon - Jan 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Dude is garbage

4. glink123 - Jan 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM

He shoots 40 pct from the floor, 28 percent from the 3, and has a woeful assist-to-turnover ratio of 2-to-1. Other than that, he’s a great PG. Plus he can teach you how to Dougie.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches