Jan 10, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
The Phoenix Suns are bad. They are just flat out not a good team, which is part of what you expect for a couple years during a rebuilding process.
As the trade deadline nears, teams are going to call up and ask about Marcin Gortat — a quality NBA center who makes a reasonable contract of $7.2 million this year and $7.7 million next season. Gortat brings 11.6 points a game on 53.8 percent shooting plus 8.9 rebounds. He’s got a PER of 17.4. He’s not an All-Star but he’s good and affordable.
But Gortat doesn’t want to be traded, he told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
“Basically I just don’t want to feel like a loser and escape,” he told CSNNE.com. “The team needs you and then all of a sudden you escape because you said you wanted to be traded or you asked for a trade? It’s not like that.
“If someone’s going to decide to trade me, it is a business. I’ll understand that. But now I’m on the Phoenix Suns and I’m going to help….
“Right now I feel like it’s hard to leave this sinking boat, you know what I mean, just go to a different team and escape from everything,” he said. “I started with this team in training camp. I’ve been here for three years right now. This is my third year and basically I’m trying to help this team, help this team as much as I can. “
The Suns are rebuilding, if a team can offer them young players and picks that can help the cause management likely entertains a trade for Gortat. But they are not giving him away for your junk — quality NBA centers are hard to come by and the Suns have such an asset. They will keep him if all the offers are lowball.
Which is just fine with Gortat.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11