Jan 10, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
The Phoenix Suns are bad. They are just flat out not a good team, which is part of what you expect for a couple years during a rebuilding process.
As the trade deadline nears, teams are going to call up and ask about Marcin Gortat — a quality NBA center who makes a reasonable contract of $7.2 million this year and $7.7 million next season. Gortat brings 11.6 points a game on 53.8 percent shooting plus 8.9 rebounds. He’s got a PER of 17.4. He’s not an All-Star but he’s good and affordable.
But Gortat doesn’t want to be traded, he told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
“Basically I just don’t want to feel like a loser and escape,” he told CSNNE.com. “The team needs you and then all of a sudden you escape because you said you wanted to be traded or you asked for a trade? It’s not like that.
“If someone’s going to decide to trade me, it is a business. I’ll understand that. But now I’m on the Phoenix Suns and I’m going to help….
“Right now I feel like it’s hard to leave this sinking boat, you know what I mean, just go to a different team and escape from everything,” he said. “I started with this team in training camp. I’ve been here for three years right now. This is my third year and basically I’m trying to help this team, help this team as much as I can. “
The Suns are rebuilding, if a team can offer them young players and picks that can help the cause management likely entertains a trade for Gortat. But they are not giving him away for your junk — quality NBA centers are hard to come by and the Suns have such an asset. They will keep him if all the offers are lowball.
Which is just fine with Gortat.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 0
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 1
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 27
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17