Jan 9, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Being an uncle is pretty cool. You get to buy your nieces and nephews annoyingly loud toys to passive-aggressively torture your brother or sister. You get to give the kids lots of candy and ice cream and it automatically makes you cool. It’s a pretty easy gig.
Dunking on a 7-footer in the NBA, or beating the buzzer with an entire defense focused on stopping you? Not as easy.
Jeff Green, endearingly known as Uncle Jeff from his Thunder days, has had a rough year with the Celtics after coming back from heart surgery. He’s shown flashes, but the consistent production just hasn’t been there. It will take some time, but plays like this provide a little glimpse of what Green’s mix of size and athleticism can produce:
Kyrie Irving, star of the “Uncle Drew” commercials that might be the best hoops spots since the “Lil Penny” commercials with Penny Hardaway, does pretty incredible things on a regular basis. Here he is beating the buzzer in the first quarter in a 33-point outburst against the Atlanta Hawks.
All in all, not a bad night for the NBA’s most notable uncles. Green’s dunks helped the Celtics take care of the Suns, 87-79, while Irving’s efficient scoring night helped the Cavs take down the Hawks, 99-83.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'