Jan 9, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
The basketball gods are not done taking out their vengeance on the Minnesota Timberwolves just yet.
Love missed the start of the season recovering from a broken hand he suffered doing knuckle pushups at home. He returned averaging 18.3 points and 14 rebounds a game, but the hand injury clearly still bothered him as he shot just 35.2 percent.
Then last Thursday he re-broke his hand in a fluke incident while playing the Denver Nuggets.
Eight weeks would have him returning in mid-March, with less than a month to go in the season. How hard he pushes to get back may depend on where the Timberwolves are in the standings — right now they are the nine seed in the West, 1.5 games back of the eight seed Nuggets. The West is tight with just 5.5 games separating the six seed Rockets and the 11 seed Lakers. If by the middle of March the Timberwolves have slipped out of playoff contention there would be no motive to rush Love back.
Then again, they have hung in this long with limited contributions from Love and Ricky Rubio (returning from an ACL tear plus having back spasms). So hope should not die. That mountain just looks a lot harder to climb right now.
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 75
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12