Jan 9, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
This is bad for Cleveland.
Anderson Varejao was having an All-Star level season — 14.1 points and 14.4 rebounds a game, carrying more offense and playing good defense. He has a PER of 22. All that was making him attractive to other teams, and for a rebuilding Cavaliers team they might have been able to make a good trade shipping him out.
Varejao will undergo knee surgery on Thursday and be out six to eight weeks, the team announced Wednesday.
That will pretty much kill his trade value. Teams may still poke around but the value of their offer goes way down.
Varejao had been diagnosed with a bruised right knee that would cost him a couple weeks, and he did have that, but the MRIs revealed a small split in the vastus medialis, the “teadrop” muscle in the thigh that connects to the knee. That small tear was herniating and leading to other complications, which led both the team doctor and a specialist to recommend surgery.
The Cavaliers can’t catch an injury break. Kyrie Irving missed most of the start of the season although his return hasn’t brought a lot of wins, the Cavs have lost six of their last seven. Now this. Look for a lot more Tyler Zeller, but that is a pretty big drop off from the level Varejao was playing at.
Just a rough season in Cleveland.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50