Jan 8, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Alabamans love Nick Saban….
• Plans for an arena deal in Virginia Beach — to in theory bring in the Sacramento Kings — are dead. Basically, Comcast-Spectacor, which is reportedly going to be key in paying for the arena, could not work out an agreement with the Kings owners the Maloof family. With no deal in place the mayor of Virginia Beach said they are not going to go to the state and ask for $150 million to help build the arena. The mayor also said the city is pulling out of working on the deal for now.
• The Lakers are starting center Robert Sacre and Darius Morris in place of Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol on Tuesday against Houston as the Lakers go small for Mike D’Antoni with their seven footers injured (Howard is out for the week with a shoulder injury, Gasol has a concussion and his timetable is not known). Going this way against Houston could backfire — Houston plays at the fastest pace in the league and are more comfortable up tempo than the Lakers.
• Along those lines, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak talks about how his team is not playing well. Stunning. The question is what is he going to do about it? Trade Pau Gasol? And if so do you push to do that at the deadline, or can he wait until the summer when there may be more options.
• In case you missed it by the way, the Lakers waived Darius Johnson-Odom.
• The Wizards cut Shelvin Mack but are keeping Garrett Temple for the season.
• What player is the biggest NBA defensive difference maker, which team has the biggest drop off on defense when one player leaves the court? The Celtics with Kevin Garnett. Which was probably your first guess.
• Here is an interesting bit of basketball reasearch — adjusting assist totals for the bias of arena scorekeepers.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Durant and LeBron at the top of the MVP ballot is easy, it’s filling out spots 3-5 that is the challenge.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Kohl is going to pitch in $100 million to get a new arena built in Milwaukee.
Apr 16, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Teams will like his speed, but he’s destined for a second round pick.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
While the Lakers end their dreary season Kobe Bryant is already on vacation.
Apr 16, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
Clippers forward: ‘It doesn’t really affect me, but so many guys would probably benefit’
Apr 16, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
The Spurs have crushed the Grizzlies and Mavericks this season, so those teams are motivated to avoid a trip to the Riverwalk to start the postseason.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
First team nearly a clean sweep, but one top teamer didn’t even make other two ballots
Apr 16, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
NBA could still rescind the technical
Apr 16, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
New research delivers answer
Apr 16, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
New York based hedge fund billionaires Marc Lasry and Wes Edens are buying the team but keeping it in Wisconsin, they just need to get a new arena built.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Two very different candidates signify wide search
Apr 16, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Knicks center knows, though, he might have no choice
Apr 16, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
You can’t do enough Animal House references to make me happy.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Duo leaves Michigan after their sophomore years
Apr 16, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
How many years feature three of the best records in a franchise’s history?
Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Bulls give Greg Smith, Ronnie Brewer, Lou Amnundson and Mike James multi-year contracts
Apr 16, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Nothing like waiting until the last minute to figure things out.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Nine combined spots on the ballot go to eight different players, and none of our winners made the other two’s top three
Apr 16, 2014, 2:42 AM EDT
Chris Paul and J.J. Redick look good as Clippers ready for playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT
Poor Evan Fournier is on the wrong end of a highlight that’s going to get shown a lot for a few days. At least.
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 0
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 32
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 14
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 21
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 1