Jan 8, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Alabamans love Nick Saban….
• Plans for an arena deal in Virginia Beach — to in theory bring in the Sacramento Kings — are dead. Basically, Comcast-Spectacor, which is reportedly going to be key in paying for the arena, could not work out an agreement with the Kings owners the Maloof family. With no deal in place the mayor of Virginia Beach said they are not going to go to the state and ask for $150 million to help build the arena. The mayor also said the city is pulling out of working on the deal for now.
• The Lakers are starting center Robert Sacre and Darius Morris in place of Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol on Tuesday against Houston as the Lakers go small for Mike D’Antoni with their seven footers injured (Howard is out for the week with a shoulder injury, Gasol has a concussion and his timetable is not known). Going this way against Houston could backfire — Houston plays at the fastest pace in the league and are more comfortable up tempo than the Lakers.
• Along those lines, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak talks about how his team is not playing well. Stunning. The question is what is he going to do about it? Trade Pau Gasol? And if so do you push to do that at the deadline, or can he wait until the summer when there may be more options.
• In case you missed it by the way, the Lakers waived Darius Johnson-Odom.
• The Wizards cut Shelvin Mack but are keeping Garrett Temple for the season.
• What player is the biggest NBA defensive difference maker, which team has the biggest drop off on defense when one player leaves the court? The Celtics with Kevin Garnett. Which was probably your first guess.
• Here is an interesting bit of basketball reasearch — adjusting assist totals for the bias of arena scorekeepers.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Mavericks owner, one of many celebrities singing off Stephen Colbert, had his priorities in line
Dec 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
The Bulls are better off with their depth and flexibility.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:44 AM EST
Greek Freak makes diving steal again Kings
Dec 19, 2014, 9:08 AM EST
Warriors forward blows dunk, does everything else right in win over Thunder
Dec 19, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
Chris Kringle channels his inner-Allen Iverson
Dec 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
He will get another shot at being a head coach in the NBA. He deserves it.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Rondo moves the Mavs into contender status in the West. Problem is that is a crowded field.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:46 AM EST
The team officially described the sprain as “mild.”
Dec 19, 2014, 12:02 AM EST
Makes the haul even less impressive for Boston.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Phil responds to an article ripping the Knicks for making the deal.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
Bryant’s contract runs through 2016.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
Dec 18, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Rookie of the Year race is pretty dull now, frankly.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:35 PM EST
Anthony has been advised that sitting out would be smart.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
The foul was upgraded to a Flagrant 2.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:03 PM EST
The Mavs send three players and two picks to Boston.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
They don’t want to give up picks.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Spurs star made same clutch shot a decade ago against Lakers
Dec 18, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
Down goes Rocky, down goes Rocky
Dec 18, 2014, 3:40 PM EST
Trail Blazers guard just waiting to check into game, when his personal space gets violated
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 32
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 30
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10