Jan 8, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Alabamans love Nick Saban….
• Plans for an arena deal in Virginia Beach — to in theory bring in the Sacramento Kings — are dead. Basically, Comcast-Spectacor, which is reportedly going to be key in paying for the arena, could not work out an agreement with the Kings owners the Maloof family. With no deal in place the mayor of Virginia Beach said they are not going to go to the state and ask for $150 million to help build the arena. The mayor also said the city is pulling out of working on the deal for now.
• The Lakers are starting center Robert Sacre and Darius Morris in place of Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol on Tuesday against Houston as the Lakers go small for Mike D’Antoni with their seven footers injured (Howard is out for the week with a shoulder injury, Gasol has a concussion and his timetable is not known). Going this way against Houston could backfire — Houston plays at the fastest pace in the league and are more comfortable up tempo than the Lakers.
• Along those lines, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak talks about how his team is not playing well. Stunning. The question is what is he going to do about it? Trade Pau Gasol? And if so do you push to do that at the deadline, or can he wait until the summer when there may be more options.
• In case you missed it by the way, the Lakers waived Darius Johnson-Odom.
• The Wizards cut Shelvin Mack but are keeping Garrett Temple for the season.
• What player is the biggest NBA defensive difference maker, which team has the biggest drop off on defense when one player leaves the court? The Celtics with Kevin Garnett. Which was probably your first guess.
• Here is an interesting bit of basketball reasearch — adjusting assist totals for the bias of arena scorekeepers.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
To quote Bob Uecker, “juuuuust a bit outside.”
Feb 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
There is about as much chance of me getting a date with Emily Ratajkowski this weekend as there is of this actually happening.
Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’
Feb 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EST
Maybe, but Melo still dropped 50 on Battier’s Heat in 2013.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
NBA teams are considering the question
Daryl Morey believes two bad shots are better than one good shot (always), but data wasn’t significant enough for Jeff Van Gundy to change
Feb 27, 2015, 7:59 PM EST
An interesting anecdote from Morey (speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference) about how the data showed an advantage, but not one big enough for his coach to change.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EST
Instead of 30-year plan, assistant Celtics general manager unveils five-year and 10-year plans
Feb 27, 2015, 6:07 PM EST
Kevin Love, it’s your show.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
There are financial obstacles in the way of dropping 22 games from the schedule, but Battier makes a somewhat compelling case.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EST
He’s day to day. (Insert your Keith Olberman joke here.)
Feb 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
It’s not going to change most fans’ minds, but it’s a good first step.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Don’t be surprised if another bidder comes in over the top.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Don’t expect him to return, but if he does Cleveland appears off the list.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Turns out Common was a Bulls ball boy back in the early Jordan era in Chicago, so he and Michael Jordan had some laughs together.
Jeff Van Gundy to Daryl Morey when he flinched at using analytics to make a decision: ‘Either you believe in this sh-t or you don’t’
Feb 27, 2015, 2:14 PM EST
The data said that Dikembe Mutombo was better than Yao Ming, but Morey wasn’t ready to make that call.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
A team’s best players hold each other accountable, according to the former NBA player.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
Phil Jackson can’t just quietly sneak into a building and watch a prospect, so a reporter asked him a question. Jackson answered and will pay for that.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:58 AM EST
This makes the Bulls a lot more dangerous come the playoffs.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:28 AM EST
The Cavaliers’ rim protection has been infinitely better since the arrival of Timofey Mozgov, but he wasn’t stopping Draymond Green on this one.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:44 AM EST
DeMar DeRozan says he’s right next to Lowry on this.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:01 AM EST
And it’s got Tupac.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13