Jan 8, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Alabamans love Nick Saban….
• Plans for an arena deal in Virginia Beach — to in theory bring in the Sacramento Kings — are dead. Basically, Comcast-Spectacor, which is reportedly going to be key in paying for the arena, could not work out an agreement with the Kings owners the Maloof family. With no deal in place the mayor of Virginia Beach said they are not going to go to the state and ask for $150 million to help build the arena. The mayor also said the city is pulling out of working on the deal for now.
• The Lakers are starting center Robert Sacre and Darius Morris in place of Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol on Tuesday against Houston as the Lakers go small for Mike D’Antoni with their seven footers injured (Howard is out for the week with a shoulder injury, Gasol has a concussion and his timetable is not known). Going this way against Houston could backfire — Houston plays at the fastest pace in the league and are more comfortable up tempo than the Lakers.
• Along those lines, Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak talks about how his team is not playing well. Stunning. The question is what is he going to do about it? Trade Pau Gasol? And if so do you push to do that at the deadline, or can he wait until the summer when there may be more options.
• In case you missed it by the way, the Lakers waived Darius Johnson-Odom.
• The Wizards cut Shelvin Mack but are keeping Garrett Temple for the season.
• What player is the biggest NBA defensive difference maker, which team has the biggest drop off on defense when one player leaves the court? The Celtics with Kevin Garnett. Which was probably your first guess.
• Here is an interesting bit of basketball reasearch — adjusting assist totals for the bias of arena scorekeepers.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
Cavaliers gave him a chance to wait by sweeping Celtics
Apr 27, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
Rockets lost closeout game to Dallas
Apr 27, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT
Wallace owed more than $10 million next season
Apr 27, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
What does Walker’s cratered draft stock say about Billy Donovan?
Apr 27, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
If that was their plan, they executed it well
Apr 27, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Isaiah Thomas played, um, creative defense
Apr 27, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Celtics were reportedly gaining ground before Kelly Olynyk
Apr 27, 2015, 9:46 AM EDT
Wizards forward started talking before series, hasn’t stopped
Apr 27, 2015, 9:07 AM EDT
Celtics forward: ‘I would never intentionally hurt Kevin or anyone else’
Apr 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Somebody looks a lot more comfortable with no Rajon Rondo around.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Well played Rick Carlisle. Well played.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:34 AM EDT
Love being out could be an issue in the next round as the Cavs take on the Bulls.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:38 AM EDT
The question is can Dallas replicate all they did right on the road?
Apr 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics fans got a show.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
Another stellar performance from John Wall buries Toronto’s season.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
The Clippers needed their big stars to step up Sunday or they were going to be in a very deep hole. They got it.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
Blake Griffin grabbed 19 rebounds, and Austin Rivers (!) chipped in 16 points in 17 minutes off the bench.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
With the new salary cap, Davis’ deal could approach $140 million.
Apr 26, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
Kevin Love gets hurt, Cleveland gets revenge, and Boston gets swept
Apr 26, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Conley suffered the injury in Memphis’ Game 3 win in Portland.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 61
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2