Jan 8, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:01 p.m.: We have more details about the incident and the player involved was Andray Blatche, something he himself tweeted but has since taken down. Here is what it said, via Howard Beck of the New York Times.
“Im ok and I didn’t do anything jus was n the area when it happened”
In the tweet he confirms what had been suggested in an early report — that he was not being investigated for the sexual assault itself. Nobody has been charged in the case yet, although it is early in the investigation. Two other men reportedly brought in for questioning are not part of the Nets traveling party.
Blatche was considered a head case in Washington that the Wizards wanted to get rid of. The Nets took a chance on him this summer and he has played well for them with 11.1 points and 6.1 rebounds a game, and he is shooting a career best 49.3 percent. He has a PER of 23.2 and is a guy discussed as a potential Most Improved Player candidate this season.
11:19 am: Be careful jumping to conclusions, we don’t have a lot of details yet. We don’t have any names.
What we do know from multiple reports is that a Brooklyn Nets player has been questioned in a sexual assault case at the Four Seasons hotel in Philly, where the team is staying in advance of their game against the Sixers Tuesday night.
Here are the few details we have, via NBCPhiladelphia.com.
Police tell NBC10 that a woman was taken from the Four Seasons Hotel on 18th and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway to a local hospital just before 4 a.m. The woman told police she was raped by someone inside the hotel, according to investigators.
They are questioning a man inside a Four Season’s hotel room regarding the incident. Police also say a Brooklyn Nets player was in the hotel suite at the time of the alleged incident but was not in the bedroom where it may have occurred.
This may not be the player himself but an associate (not that it in any way excuses the player, if this did indeed happen and he knew about it but did not stop it). Other reports have said a player and his “associates” were questioned at a police station (the Special Victim’s Unit office, to be specific). No charges have yet been filed against anyone for the alleged assault on the 21-year-old woman. The Nets released a statement essentially saying they know a player was questioned but nothing more.
We will update this as we get details.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6