Jan 8, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace — at age 38 and having taken a season off from the NBA — really brought the Knicks something off the bench. Yes, there was 7.2 points a game and the threat of a big who can shoot to space the floor. But more importantly, he brought some size on defense in the paint while Tyson Chandler rested that helped.
Until ‘Sheed got injured. A foot injury has had him out for the last dozen games.
Martin has been open-minded about the possibility of accepting a 10-day contract to get the opportunity to prove his value to the Knicks, sources said.
Martin is a former teammate of Carmelo Anthony, Marcus Camby and J.R. Smith, so there should be an easy transition in the locker room. Last summer Martin wanted more than a minimum deal for this season but that was all he was offered, so he has been sitting out. He has said in the past months he would take a minimum deal and now it appears even a 10-day contract.
Spears says the key is the Knicks trying to get a feel for Wallace’s return. Which is a little hazy right now.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 15
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 40
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19