Jan 8, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace — at age 38 and having taken a season off from the NBA — really brought the Knicks something off the bench. Yes, there was 7.2 points a game and the threat of a big who can shoot to space the floor. But more importantly, he brought some size on defense in the paint while Tyson Chandler rested that helped.
Until ‘Sheed got injured. A foot injury has had him out for the last dozen games.
Martin has been open-minded about the possibility of accepting a 10-day contract to get the opportunity to prove his value to the Knicks, sources said.
Martin is a former teammate of Carmelo Anthony, Marcus Camby and J.R. Smith, so there should be an easy transition in the locker room. Last summer Martin wanted more than a minimum deal for this season but that was all he was offered, so he has been sitting out. He has said in the past months he would take a minimum deal and now it appears even a 10-day contract.
Spears says the key is the Knicks trying to get a feel for Wallace’s return. Which is a little hazy right now.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40