Jan 8, 2013, 6:41 PM EST
Rasheed Wallace — at age 38 and having taken a season off from the NBA — really brought the Knicks something off the bench. Yes, there was 7.2 points a game and the threat of a big who can shoot to space the floor. But more importantly, he brought some size on defense in the paint while Tyson Chandler rested that helped.
Until ‘Sheed got injured. A foot injury has had him out for the last dozen games.
Martin has been open-minded about the possibility of accepting a 10-day contract to get the opportunity to prove his value to the Knicks, sources said.
Martin is a former teammate of Carmelo Anthony, Marcus Camby and J.R. Smith, so there should be an easy transition in the locker room. Last summer Martin wanted more than a minimum deal for this season but that was all he was offered, so he has been sitting out. He has said in the past months he would take a minimum deal and now it appears even a 10-day contract.
Spears says the key is the Knicks trying to get a feel for Wallace’s return. Which is a little hazy right now.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 8
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 10
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 26
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10