Jan 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Miami is looking for some help with rebounding and on the defensive end. They have worked out Chris Anderson to see if the Birdman can still fly.
But they may go another route and sign Jarvis Varnado to a 10-day contract, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network. Varnado is being waived by the Boston Celtics.
As long as Varnado clears league waivers on Tuesday afternoon, he will be eligible to a sign a 10-day contract with Miami. The Boston Celtics waived Varnado on Sunday.
The Heat drafted Varnado in the second round back in 2010, but cut him. He played in Italy and Israel but had returned to the D-League this season, playing in Sioux Falls.
Varnado is strong on the defensive end, likes to block shots and is a good rebounder. He brings a lot of hustle to the floor. He’s not going to score much, but the Heat already have a couple guys who can score. They need more of what Varnado might bring.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85