Jan 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Miami is looking for some help with rebounding and on the defensive end. They have worked out Chris Anderson to see if the Birdman can still fly.
But they may go another route and sign Jarvis Varnado to a 10-day contract, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network. Varnado is being waived by the Boston Celtics.
As long as Varnado clears league waivers on Tuesday afternoon, he will be eligible to a sign a 10-day contract with Miami. The Boston Celtics waived Varnado on Sunday.
The Heat drafted Varnado in the second round back in 2010, but cut him. He played in Italy and Israel but had returned to the D-League this season, playing in Sioux Falls.
Varnado is strong on the defensive end, likes to block shots and is a good rebounder. He brings a lot of hustle to the floor. He’s not going to score much, but the Heat already have a couple guys who can score. They need more of what Varnado might bring.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 0
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2