Jan 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Miami is looking for some help with rebounding and on the defensive end. They have worked out Chris Anderson to see if the Birdman can still fly.
But they may go another route and sign Jarvis Varnado to a 10-day contract, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network. Varnado is being waived by the Boston Celtics.
As long as Varnado clears league waivers on Tuesday afternoon, he will be eligible to a sign a 10-day contract with Miami. The Boston Celtics waived Varnado on Sunday.
The Heat drafted Varnado in the second round back in 2010, but cut him. He played in Italy and Israel but had returned to the D-League this season, playing in Sioux Falls.
Varnado is strong on the defensive end, likes to block shots and is a good rebounder. He brings a lot of hustle to the floor. He’s not going to score much, but the Heat already have a couple guys who can score. They need more of what Varnado might bring.
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 21
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 6
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 39
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 63
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 62
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40