Jan 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
Miami is looking for some help with rebounding and on the defensive end. They have worked out Chris Anderson to see if the Birdman can still fly.
But they may go another route and sign Jarvis Varnado to a 10-day contract, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network. Varnado is being waived by the Boston Celtics.
As long as Varnado clears league waivers on Tuesday afternoon, he will be eligible to a sign a 10-day contract with Miami. The Boston Celtics waived Varnado on Sunday.
The Heat drafted Varnado in the second round back in 2010, but cut him. He played in Italy and Israel but had returned to the D-League this season, playing in Sioux Falls.
Varnado is strong on the defensive end, likes to block shots and is a good rebounder. He brings a lot of hustle to the floor. He’s not going to score much, but the Heat already have a couple guys who can score. They need more of what Varnado might bring.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 2
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 16
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)