Jan 8, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
I don’t think this is going to happen. At this time of year teams listen to all sorts of trade ideas, gauging the value of their players and seeing if one in 100 might stick and work.
Griz CEO Jason Levien, whom principal owner Robert Pera has entrusted to run the franchise, is gauging the value of several players on the roster. There also have been exploratory trade conversations centered on forward Zach Randolph. The Sacramento Kings are one of the teams that the Griz recently held preliminary talks with, according to a league source.
That would clearly be some kind of DeMarcus Cousins deal, and is highly, highly unlikely as Kings ownership doesn’t really want to move him.
What this shows is that Memphis’ new ownership and front office is looking to shake things up. They see a roster that can make the playoffs but likely not win the West and they want to shake it up.
Still, any trade of Randolph is highly unlikely. Gay, yes, he will get moved, if not at the deadline than next summer. But the Grizzlies are just doing their due diligence and are listening to offers. And Randolph certainly would have interest.
But you are going to have to blow the Grizzlies away with an offer to get Randolph.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 3
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 22
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 78
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19