Jan 8, 2013, 1:56 PM EST
Rajon Rondo didn’t take the court for the Celtics Monday night — not that they needed him, Boston got a nice win in New York anyway — as he sat out a one-game suspension for bumping referee Rodney Mott in a game over the weekend then impeding the investigation of the incident.
In vintage Rondo style, he’s not apologetic or even sure what the big deal was. From Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe, on Sulia.
“The league thought it was a big deal. I don’t feel there was a need to have an investigation. I know Rodney and that particular time with that play, I actually went up to him and I made a joke, he laughed and in the midst, I did touch him and the league I guess reviewed it, the media blew it up, on SportsCenter or whatever and I served a one-game suspension.”
They were apparently joking about Josh Smith flopping, which is pretty funny.
I will grant Rondo this — Mott did not call him for a foul at the time. Referees are big on keeping their control of the situation, if Mott thought this something serious he wouldn’t have hesitated with a technical at the time.
However, Rondo also apparently was feisty when the league office called about the incident. That’s probably what fueled the full game suspension over just a fine. And he can’t blame anybody but himself for that.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28