Jan 8, 2013, 1:56 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo didn’t take the court for the Celtics Monday night — not that they needed him, Boston got a nice win in New York anyway — as he sat out a one-game suspension for bumping referee Rodney Mott in a game over the weekend then impeding the investigation of the incident.
In vintage Rondo style, he’s not apologetic or even sure what the big deal was. From Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe, on Sulia.
“The league thought it was a big deal. I don’t feel there was a need to have an investigation. I know Rodney and that particular time with that play, I actually went up to him and I made a joke, he laughed and in the midst, I did touch him and the league I guess reviewed it, the media blew it up, on SportsCenter or whatever and I served a one-game suspension.”
They were apparently joking about Josh Smith flopping, which is pretty funny.
I will grant Rondo this — Mott did not call him for a foul at the time. Referees are big on keeping their control of the situation, if Mott thought this something serious he wouldn’t have hesitated with a technical at the time.
However, Rondo also apparently was feisty when the league office called about the incident. That’s probably what fueled the full game suspension over just a fine. And he can’t blame anybody but himself for that.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 16
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 20
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48