Jan 8, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
I have said it on this blog many times — I don’t expect Phil Jackson to coach ever again.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov is counting on me being wrong — Jackson is the guy on top of the Nets list, although they might not try to get him until next summer now (they are 6-1 under P.J. Carlesimo).
But when Prokhorov calls he may get a “nyet” if Jackson sticks to what he told Chris Sheridan of Sheridan Hoops.
“I have no intention of ever coaching again,” Jackson told SheridanHoops.com in a brief statement.
It’s vintage Jackson — it’s a comment with a hedge. Right now he doesn’t “intend” to coach again. As in that could change, maybe if Prokhorov offers really good vodka and a really large check at their meeting.
As I’ve said before, watching Jackson at the end of his last run with the Lakers he seemed done with the grind of coaching — long hours, a lot of travel (which is not comfortable for a guy 6’10” and with two hips replaced), dealing with the media and all the rest of it. I think it would take a perfect situation to return. The Lakers — with Kobe Bryant and two skilled seven footers in an organization he is comfortable with — might have been that situation, but ownership didn’t really want him.
Now… well, Phil doesn’t intend to coach again. Whatever that means, exactly.
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 4
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 78
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 8
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 77
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 45
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17