Phil Jackson says he doesn’t “intend” to coach again

Jan 8, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

I have said it on this blog many times — I don’t expect Phil Jackson to coach ever again.

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov is counting on me being wrong — Jackson is the guy on top of the Nets list, although they might not try to get him until next summer now (they are 6-1 under P.J. Carlesimo).

But when Prokhorov calls he may get a “nyet” if Jackson sticks to what he told Chris Sheridan of Sheridan Hoops.

“I have no intention of ever coaching again,” Jackson told SheridanHoops.com in a brief statement.

It’s vintage Jackson — it’s a comment with a hedge. Right now he doesn’t “intend” to coach again. As in that could change, maybe if Prokhorov offers really good vodka and a really large check at their meeting.

As I’ve said before, watching Jackson at the end of his last run with the Lakers he seemed done with the grind of coaching — long hours, a lot of travel (which is not comfortable for a guy 6’10” and with two hips replaced), dealing with the media and all the rest of it. I think it would take a perfect situation to return. The Lakers — with Kobe Bryant and two skilled seven footers in an organization he is comfortable with — might have been that situation, but ownership didn’t really want him.

Now… well, Phil doesn’t intend to coach again. Whatever that means, exactly.

1. saint1997 - Jan 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM

the Brooklyn Nyets

2. jhuck92 - Jan 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

He should take up the Nets’ offer if only to spite the Lakers after the way they treated him.

• zerole00 - Jan 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I don’t see how taking a coaching job for an overpaid (and not contending team) that’s locked in for the next couple years is going to spite a team that’s currently struggling to get the 8th seed (and has no 1st round pick for the next couple years).

• jhuck92 - Jan 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Jackson’s good, but I’m not saying he would have turned the Nets around into contenders in one season. He would have had more tools to work with in LA (Kobe, familiar setting, etc.), but they hung him out to dry when they hired D’Antoni. The Lakers are going to get better sooner or later. They have too much talent on that team to be bad forever, just give them time to gel.

3. 32magicman - Jan 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM

The nets job is looking more attractive than the lakers job now anyway!

• badintent - Jan 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Damn Straight ! Gotta go with the hot hand P.J.

• akmgiants - Jan 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM

especially when D12 comes once this abortion of a lakers season is over

4. mazblast - Jan 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM

The media hacks, being on average as intelligent as your average small soap dish, keep falling for Phil’s Zen line of sh**. Phil loves to keep himself in the media spotlight while doing nothing.

5. manchestermiracle - Jan 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM

The only “hedge” in that comment is in your imagination, Kurt. Along with the grind of coaching that Phil has previously mentioned, his curt (pun intended) dismissal of any possible future coaching job seems pretty succinct to me.

6. coldyron - Jan 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM

It’s really obvious he doesn’t want to coach. That’s why he gave ridiculous demands when the Lakers came crawling back to him asking him to save the franchise.

7. dko83 - Jan 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM

And Jordan never “intended” to come out of retirement.

8. wranglerick - Jan 9, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I don’t ” intend ” to pick up that check for 5 million a year

9. eventhorizon04 - Jan 9, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I never really saw the point of these announcements.

Whether he says, “I don’t intend to coach again,” or, “I swear I’ll never coach again!”, the message is the same. At the moment, he doesn’t feel like going back to coaching. If someone makes him a very, very attractive offer, he might come back, but he’s not actively looking.

For what it’s worth, I think he’s done, but this announcement won’t mean much if a team lures him back in 2014.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Phil likes to make the finals and he won’t be making the finals with the Nets while the big three are together in Miami. That’s why he isn’t in a hurry to come coach the Nets. They aren’t beating the Heat in a 7 game series.

11. omniusprime - Jan 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Kurt, Phil may not “intend” to coach again unless the Lakers make him the right offer. The Nyets don’t stand a chance as that would mean moving from his Southern California beach town to a NYC garbage dump.

Actually what I’m hoping for is Phil being interested in management, as in replacing Kupcake or hopefully the little idiot buss boy. I think Phil Jackson would make a great team president. Hopefully Daddy Buss wakes up soon and fires his little wayward brat.

Fire Dumbtoni!!!

12. davidly - Jan 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Come one, Kurt. Though it’s not surprising that his use of “intend” in a sentence would add another of Jackson’s quotes to the list that bolsters the “mysterious Zenmaster is hedging” meme, there just isn’t anything to it other than the fact that PJ has always maintained a “never say never” attitude, and he’s certainly not the only public figure to do so.

I do agree, Kurt, and don’t think that he’ll ever coach again. I still believe that the most he’d want to do is use the coaching position as a way to get a job at the top of the front office. (Nevertheless, I think having a home-coach and an road-coach is not only hip-sparing, but also a revolutionary idea.)

Also keep in mind that he has certainly reached the age where he would have already contemplated his mortality. And while his legacy is one that places him pretty firmly at the top of the record books (ie. best regular season & playoff winning percentages, and most championships by a coach in any sport), he might just find himself missing basketball.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards