Jan 8, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Scott Skiles and the Milwaukee Bucks, a couple a lot of people expected to break up this summer, decided that it was better to do it now rather than later. Skiles is out. It was not a firing, it was a mutual decision, both sides were ready to move on.
Which puts Jim Boylan in the big chair for a 16-16 Bucks team eyeing the playoffs in the East.
Boylan once took over for the Bulls in mid-season so he has some experience at it. And he’s already making some changes.
Like starting Ersan Ilyasova.
“I’m putting Ersan in the starting lineup and take Ekpe (Udoh) out,” Boylan told the Bucks official Web site. “Try to get Ersan a few more minutes, get him more comfortable out there. He’s a vital part of our success.”
Ilyasova has been playing nearly 23 minutes a game, giving them 9 points and 5.6 rebounds a game, plus shooting 39.7 percent from three. Ekpe Udoh was getting more than 20 minutes a game and giving them 4.9 points a game and he didn’t venture out near the arc and space the floor.
Look at it this way: The Bucks are +8.5 per 48 minutes when Ilyasova is on the court, and -1 when Udoh is (via 82games.com). Giving more run to the guy that helps you team win seems a prudent first move.
It’s really pretty simple long-term for Boylan — if you want the job prove you can win with this roster. The Bucks are currently tied with the Celtics for the seven and eight seeds in the East, and that would be a Celtics team looking like it might find its groove with Avery Bradley back. The Bucks are 2.5 games up on the current nine seed Sixers and five up on three other teams (Raptors, Pistons and Magic). They are in position to make the playoffs if they don’t backslide.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 40
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6