Jan 8, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Scott Skiles and the Milwaukee Bucks, a couple a lot of people expected to break up this summer, decided that it was better to do it now rather than later. Skiles is out. It was not a firing, it was a mutual decision, both sides were ready to move on.
Which puts Jim Boylan in the big chair for a 16-16 Bucks team eyeing the playoffs in the East.
Boylan once took over for the Bulls in mid-season so he has some experience at it. And he’s already making some changes.
Like starting Ersan Ilyasova.
“I’m putting Ersan in the starting lineup and take Ekpe (Udoh) out,” Boylan told the Bucks official Web site. “Try to get Ersan a few more minutes, get him more comfortable out there. He’s a vital part of our success.”
Ilyasova has been playing nearly 23 minutes a game, giving them 9 points and 5.6 rebounds a game, plus shooting 39.7 percent from three. Ekpe Udoh was getting more than 20 minutes a game and giving them 4.9 points a game and he didn’t venture out near the arc and space the floor.
Look at it this way: The Bucks are +8.5 per 48 minutes when Ilyasova is on the court, and -1 when Udoh is (via 82games.com). Giving more run to the guy that helps you team win seems a prudent first move.
It’s really pretty simple long-term for Boylan — if you want the job prove you can win with this roster. The Bucks are currently tied with the Celtics for the seven and eight seeds in the East, and that would be a Celtics team looking like it might find its groove with Avery Bradley back. The Bucks are 2.5 games up on the current nine seed Sixers and five up on three other teams (Raptors, Pistons and Magic). They are in position to make the playoffs if they don’t backslide.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 24
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1