Jan 8, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Scott Skiles and the Milwaukee Bucks, a couple a lot of people expected to break up this summer, decided that it was better to do it now rather than later. Skiles is out. It was not a firing, it was a mutual decision, both sides were ready to move on.
Which puts Jim Boylan in the big chair for a 16-16 Bucks team eyeing the playoffs in the East.
Boylan once took over for the Bulls in mid-season so he has some experience at it. And he’s already making some changes.
Like starting Ersan Ilyasova.
“I’m putting Ersan in the starting lineup and take Ekpe (Udoh) out,” Boylan told the Bucks official Web site. “Try to get Ersan a few more minutes, get him more comfortable out there. He’s a vital part of our success.”
Ilyasova has been playing nearly 23 minutes a game, giving them 9 points and 5.6 rebounds a game, plus shooting 39.7 percent from three. Ekpe Udoh was getting more than 20 minutes a game and giving them 4.9 points a game and he didn’t venture out near the arc and space the floor.
Look at it this way: The Bucks are +8.5 per 48 minutes when Ilyasova is on the court, and -1 when Udoh is (via 82games.com). Giving more run to the guy that helps you team win seems a prudent first move.
It’s really pretty simple long-term for Boylan — if you want the job prove you can win with this roster. The Bucks are currently tied with the Celtics for the seven and eight seeds in the East, and that would be a Celtics team looking like it might find its groove with Avery Bradley back. The Bucks are 2.5 games up on the current nine seed Sixers and five up on three other teams (Raptors, Pistons and Magic). They are in position to make the playoffs if they don’t backslide.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 3
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 9
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16