Jan 8, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Iman Shumpert is close to returning to the New York Knicks.
He tweeted that the doctors have cleared him for full contact practices, which is the last step to getting back on the court for games. He worked out for team doctors and officials before Monday night’s game against the Celtics and apparently that went well. Go through a couple full practices and if his knee is fine he is back.
Which is good news for the Knicks. Even though nobody should expect him to come back playing exactly like he did before his injury, his presence on the perimeter should help the Knicks defense. And that is the area they need help — they are 18th in the NBA in points allowed per possession (via Hoopdata). They are winning regular season games because their offense is so good, but in the playoffs they will not last long without better, more consistent defense. They can do it, they gave up 5 fewer points per 100 possessions last season. They have Tyson Chandler in the paint to anchor that defense.
Shumpert back on the court will help with that.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 58
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7