DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. Suns shake up their coaching staff

May 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Jeff Hornacek remains in charge, but there has been some shuffling among his assistants.

2. PBT Extra: Houston Rockets face interesting off-season

May 29, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Houston Rockets - Game One Getty Images

There are questions about the future of Josh Smith, Patrick Beverley and others with the team.

3. LeBron James on how to slow Stephen Curry: “The same way you slow me down … You can’t.”

May 29, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT

OAKLAND, CA - FEBRUARY 12:  Stephen Curry #30 of the Golden State Warriors goes in for a layup over LeBron James #6 of the Miami Heat at ORACLE Arena on February 12, 2014 in Oakland, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images) Getty Images

The two most popular players in the NBA this season (with Kevin Durant out) go head-to-head on the NBA’s biggest stage.

4. PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner

May 29, 2015, 5:29 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Golden State Warriors - Game Five Getty Images

Cleveland’s defense has looked better in the playoffs than it has all season, but starting next Thursday it will get the biggest test it has had all season.

5. It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic

May 29, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT

150523_skiles Getty Images

Skiles is a former Magic player from 1989 through 1994.

6. Cookin’ with the Currys, guest-starring Riley Curry (video)

May 29, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

Stephen Curry Stephen Curry

Ayesha Curry cooks, Stephen Curry tastes, and Riley Curry points out raspberry-sauce spills

7. PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks

May 29, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Two Getty Images

Would hiring Thibodeau really a wise call by the Pelicans?

8. Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion

May 29, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

The NBA needs to review this process going forward.

9. Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation

May 29, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

Warriors guard passed, but not enough time had passed to determine his health

10. Rumor: Thunder promised to draft Cameron Payne No. 14

May 29, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT

Cameron Payne, Reece Chamberlain AP

Believable, but is that why it’s believed?

11. Report: Cavaliers could activate Anderson Varejao in NBA Finals if necessary

May 29, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game One Getty Images

Varejao was slated to miss the entire season with an Achilles tear

12. Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo

May 29, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT

Dwight Howard, Klay Thompson Dwight Howard, Klay Thompson

NBA gives Rockets center a flagrant foul, rescinds technical fouls for him and Andrew Bogut

13. Report: Magic could hire Scott Skiles as soon as today

May 29, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT

NEW YORK, NY - MARCH 26:  Head coach Scott Skiles of the Milwaukee Bucks looks on against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden on March 26, 2012 in New York City. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Chris Chambers/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Scott Skiles Getty Images

Contract negotiations reportedly ongoing

14. National Spelling Bee co-champion wore LeBron jersey under dress shirt

May 29, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Gokul Venkatachalam predicts Cavaliers in 6

15. Report: Fred Hoiberg still expected to become Bulls’ next coach

May 29, 2015, 9:08 AM EDT

Fred Hoiberg AP

Iowa State coach reportedly had concerns about NBA jump due to health

16. Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago

May 29, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

150529_Hoiberg Getty Images

They want Fred Hoiberg, but does he want them?

17. Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible

May 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Kevin Love AP

I expect Love will stay with the Cavaliers this summer, but a lot of people around the league are not so convinced.

Did Chicago do the right thing in firing Thibodeau?

Despite ending, Hawks had season to remember
Top 10 NBA Player Searches