DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. Agency that reps Ray Allen says reports he intends to play for Cavaliers are ‘unfounded,’ no decision has been made

Jul 24, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Miami Heat's Allen and James slap hands during the second half of Game 4 of their NBA first round playoff series in Milwaukee Reuters

Despite reports that Allen was on the verge of signing with Cleveland, nothing has been decided just yet.

2. Blake Griffin withdraws from USA Basketball this summer

Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT

Blake Griffin Getty Images

Blake Griffin joins Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge as players who are passing on Team USA this summer.

3. Thursday And-1 links: All-Star logos, Pharrell Williams, Carmelo Anthony as anchor on Knicks

Jul 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

2015 All-Star logo

Plus there is an image of Dwyane Wade playing hoops with a dolphin.

4. Report: John Wall added to roster for Team USA training camp in Las Vegas

Jul 24, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT

John Wall, LeBron James

Team USA is bringing Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose and John Wall to camp. And that’s just at the point guard spot.

5. Michael Jordan’s signed 1997-98 $33 million contract up for auction

Jul 24, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT

Michael Jordan AP

It’s the largest single-year contract in NBA history.

6. Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded

Jul 24, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

It’s another 30 days Minnesota can try to leverage a better deal out of Chicago, Golden State and anyone else who wants Kevin Love.

7. Is Paul George changing numbers?

Jul 24, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Game 5 Getty Images

His new nickname could be PG-13.

8. Chandler Parsons: Rockets told me to pursue big contract, they’d match

Jul 24, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT

Chandler Parsons Chandler Parsons

Houston obviously didn’t match, allowing Parsons to sign with Mavericks

9. Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach

Jul 24, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Do you think Jim Buss is going to give up his job, step aside for Rivers and put someone in over long-time trusted Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak? Really?

10. Nuggets sign former ACC Player of the Year Erick Green

Jul 24, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Nick Covington, Erick Green Nick Covington, Erick Green

Green, drafted No. 46 in 2013, spent a year overseas

11. Josh Huestis’ agent says D-League scheme arranged before NBA draft

Jul 24, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Josh Huestis Josh Huestis

Huestis would have accepted arrangement only with Thunder or Spurs, but will the NBA or players union allow it?

12. Isaiah Thomas: ‘I felt very disrespected’ by Kings

Jul 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone

Sacramento’s search for a starting-caliber point guard let the one already there leave for Suns

13. Report: Manu Ginobili ‘optimistic’ about playing in World Cup despite Spurs’ wishes

Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

Manu Ginobili Manu Ginobili

San Antonio guard says he won’t represent Argentina if he still feels pain

14. Anthony Bennett breathing much easier after having tonsils out

Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

The good news, he did not eat all the ice cream he wanted during his recovery from a tonsillectomy.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches