DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. Kyle Korver scores 11 points in 65 seconds (VIDEO)

Mar 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Atlanta Hawks Milwaukee Bucks v Atlanta Hawks

In a season where Kyle Korver’s three point shooting has at times seemed inhuman this may be his best shooting display.

2. Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job

Mar 30, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT

Chris Mullin AP

There were rumors he wanted the Sacramento GM job, but George Karl has the power there now.

3. PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near

Mar 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Marco Belinelli, Manu Ginobili Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Marco Belinelli, Manu Ginobili

The top three are Golden State, Cleveland and San Antonio. Would you be shocked if any of them won the title?

4. Knicks are bad everywhere, fire D-League coach

Mar 30, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT

Foot Locker Three-Point Contest Getty Images

Phil Jackson disciple Craig Hodges now coaching Westchester Knicks

5. Michael Jordan played first Bulls "home" game at a high school (video)

Mar 30, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT

Michael Jordan, Dean Smith Michael Jordan, Dean Smith

Jordan made preseason debut at Washington High School, but at one point, it seemed Washington High alum Junior Bridgeman would be the big draw

6. Russell Westbrook dunks on teammate Enes Kanter

Mar 30, 2015, 12:11 PM EDT

Russell Westbtook, Enes Kanter Russell Westbtook, Enes Kanter

D.J. Augustin throws the alley-oop, and two Thunder players go for it. Westbrook won.

Clippers playoffs? MCW shooting? Your twitter questions answered.
Top 10 NBA Player Searches