DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready

Apr 16, 2014, 2:42 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Chris Paul and J.J. Redick look good as Clippers ready for playoffs.

2. Chris Paul puts Evan Fournier in spin cycle (VIDEO)

Apr 16, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Poor Evan Fournier is on the wrong end of a highlight that’s going to get shown a lot for a few days. At least.

3. Iman Shumpert drops Paul Pierce with the crossover (VIDEO)

Apr 15, 2014, 11:46 PM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Video of one player executing a crossover that drops another player to the floor — you know you’re watching.

4. D’Antoni didn’t know draft lottery implications for Lakers after win over Jazz

Apr 15, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT

Mike D'Antoni AP

Mike D’Antoni had no idea how beating the Jazz on Monday would negatively impact his team’s Draft Lottery chances. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

5. Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season

Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

Carmelo Anthony AP

Anthony is out for the rest of the season but will not be surgery and will be good to go next season.

6. Celtics’ legend Cedric Maxwell stood in location of Boston Marathon bombing just minutes before

Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Just 7-8 minutes before, Cedric Maxwell had stood next to one of the people killed in the Boston Marathon bombing, but he decided to go inside and get warm.

7. With top spot secure, Pacers to rest George, West, Stephenson, Watson Wednesday

Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

With nothing on line Pacers going to rest key guys… except Hibbert.

8. Could Nets rest guys hoping to face Raptors instead of Bulls in first round? (They didn’t)

Apr 15, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT

Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Shaun Livingston, Deron Williams Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Shaun Livingston, Deron Williams

It’s not something you could ever prove (and the Nets may not even do it), but they could rest guys in hopes of falling into a first-round matchup with Toronto.

9. Damian Lillard not making friends in latest Foot Locker ad (VIDEO)

Apr 15, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Damian Lillard doesn’t want to end up like all those players without rings. The ones sitting in his living room.

10. 2014 PBT Awards: Executive of the Year

Apr 15, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT

Ryan McDonough Ryan McDonough

Two general managers make all three ballots, one tops each

11. Luol Deng wins J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award

Apr 15, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

Paul George, Luol Deng Paul George, Luol Deng

Award honors ‘outstanding service and dedication to the community’

12. Fan runs into Chandler Parson’s car on way to game, asks for autograph

Apr 15, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Houston Rockets Getty Images

It was just a fender bender, the good news is nobody got hurt. However, Chandler Parsons was delayed getting to the Toyota Center for the Rockets game Monday when he got into an accident. And then the other driver found out who he was and… I will let Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle tell…

13. Jordan Farmar crosses up Trey Burke, drops him — in the backcourt (VIDEO)

Apr 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

And Burke is one of the best rookies in this class….

14. Playoff Chase: We know all 16 teams going to dance, who dances with whom still up in air

Apr 15, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

Jeff Teague, George Hill, David West Jeff Teague, George Hill, David West

We know for sure the Pacers play the Hawks in the first round, and we know the Rockets and Blazers will meet. After that all the matchups are still up in the air.

15. Amar’e Stoudemire has discussed playing in Israel

Apr 15, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Amar'e Stoudemire, Taj Gibson Amar'e Stoudemire, Taj Gibson

Knicks forward come become free agent this offseason

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures