DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS No. 24: Chris Paul, NBA’s most underrated point guard

Oct 21, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Clippers Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers point guard on his own level in post-Magic Johnson NBA

2. Rajon Rondo says the Celtics will “surprise a lot of people”

Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

Rajon Rondo Rajon Rondo

Rondo praises head coach Brad Stevens’ success on the college level.

3. Donald Sterling drops suit against NBA, Shelly Sterling

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Donald Sterling Donald Sterling

He still has an antitrust suit pending against the NBA.

4. Derrick Rose blows past Dion Waiters for the finish, and one (VIDEO)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

It’s only preseason, but the 2011 league MVP looks like his old self.

5. Report: Board of Governors expected to pass draft lottery reform, Sixers and Thunder opposed

Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Lottery 2013 NBA Draft Lottery

The proposed changes would give the four worst teams the same odds of winning the No. 1 pick in the draft.

6. Pacers’ Paul George on court taking shots after practice (VIDEO)

Oct 20, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014 Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014

He’s moving well considered what happened to his leg just back in July.

7. Hawks CEO induces certain gesture from T.I., redeems himself with a “for shizzle” (video)

Oct 20, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Steve Koonin promoting Hawks’ season opener, which includes T.I. performances

8. Lance Stephenson already flopping like it’s a playoff game (VINE)

Oct 20, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

When Stephenson brought his game to Charlotte this season, he clearly brought the flopping with him.

9. Pistons waive Hasheem Thabeet

Oct 20, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons Media Day Detroit Pistons Media Day

Detroit also cuts Brian Cook, Josh Bostic and Lorenzo Brown

10. Lakers waive Jeremy Tyler, who’s China-bound

Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Media Day Los Angeles Lakers Media Day

Door even more open for Ronnie Price and Wayne Ellington to make roster

11. LeBron James reveals (?) his recruiting pitch

Oct 20, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day Getty Images

How did LeBron get Kevin Love, Shawn Marion, Mike Miller and James Jones to join the Cavaliers?

12. Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP

Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers, Game 1 Getty Images

Smart money should go on LeBron James, but there will be serious challengers.

13. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs

Oct 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

If they can stay a step ahead of father time the Spurs are the bar to clear to win an NBA title.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches