DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. Andre Drummond denies Draymond Green at Team USA practice (video)

Jul 28, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT

Andre Drummond, Jonas Jerebko, Draymond Green Andre Drummond, Jonas Jerebko, Draymond Green

Pistons center denies Warriors forward at the rim with relatively late, but incredibly awesome, leap

2. Report: P.J. Tucker arrested for DUI, registers .222 blood-alcohol content

Jul 28, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

Tucker also re-signed with Suns for $16.5 million this offseason

3. Report: As NBPA focuses on after-party, agents want union vote delayed

Jul 28, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Atlanta Hawks Los Angeles Clippers v Atlanta Hawks

National Basketball Players Associate scheduled to vote on Billy Hunter’s replacement today

4. Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.”

Jul 28, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

Mike Krzyzewski said Derrick Rose looked healthy at Tea USA training camp.

5. Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer

Jul 28, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling’s right to appeal restricted, a pivotal and unexpected ruling

6. Mo Williams agrees to one-year deal to join Timberwolves

Jul 28, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT

Mo Williams, Shane Battier Mo Williams, Shane Battier

Williams didn’t get quite the payday he was expecting as an unrestricted free agent.

7. Team USA’s system isn’t changing: They plan to use quickness, athleticism to pressure teams

Jul 28, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT

The U.S. head coach Krzyzewski watches his team against Spain during their men's gold medal  basketball match at the North Greenwich Arena in London during the London 2012 Olympic Games Reuters

The USA has superior athletes and should use that to their advantage.

8. Derrick Rose making vintage Derrick Rose plays at USA Basketball camp (VIDEOS)

Jul 28, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

Derrick Rose seems to be moving and playing like the Derrick Rose of old.

9. Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement

Jul 28, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT

Thaddeus Young AP

Thaddeus Young is not Kevin Love but he’d keep the Timberwolves from going into full rebuild mode.

10. Dwyane Wade says LeBron replaces Kobe as his new favorite opponent

Jul 28, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT

LeBron Wade Getty Images

Wade may be looking forward to going up against LeBron, but I don’t think he’s going to like how the game ends.

11. Metta World Peace shoved two players during Venice League game in L.A. (VIDEO)

Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT

Metta World Peace Metta World Peace

Ron Artest made a brief appearance on a rec league court in Los Angeles.

12. LeBron’s jersey number decision sends Indianapolis adidas manufacturing plant into immediate action

Jul 28, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

When the game’s best player makes a uniform change, manufacturers spring into immediate action.

13. Michael Jordan approves of LeBron James wearing No. 23 once again

Jul 28, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

LeBron said when switching to 6 four years ago that no one should wear 23 out of respect to MJ.

14. DeMar DeRozan jumps over Kyle Lowry for exhibition dunk (Instagram)

Jul 28, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT

DeMar DeRozan; Kyle Lowry AP

Insert your own “he only jumped over Lowry” jokes, we’re not going to do that.

15. All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins

Jul 28, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

Rose is expected to make the roster, but will need to shake the rust off quickly to show he’s more deserving than the other elite guards in camp.

16. Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season

Jul 28, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Cleveland Cavaliers Golden State Warriors v Cleveland Cavaliers

“The fact that I haven’t been traded yet makes me feel comfortable.” —Klay Thompson

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches