DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS No. 5: Victor Oladipo playing shooting guard

Sep 18, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v New York Knicks Orlando Magic v New York Knicks

After a year at point guard, Oladipo should thrive for Magic this season

2. Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone

Sep 18, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

Kevin Durant, Karl Malone Kevin Durant, Karl Malone

Not an expected pairing, but they can relate

3. Gregg Popovich: Heat got overconfident in NBA Finals

Sep 18, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade

Spurs coach seeking sources of motivation so his team won’t repeat the letdown

4. Coach K on those who believed he orchestrated Paul George photo: “You are a bad person’

Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski defends himself after Adrian Wojnarowski paints him as opportunistic recruiter

5. Report: NBA sleeved jerseys not selling well

Sep 18, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT

Miami Heat v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

How much longer will NBA keep pushing them?

6. Report: Timberwolves readying to buy out J.J. Barea

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Clippers Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Clippers

After signing Glenn Robinson III, Minnesota has too many guaranteed contracts

7. Jordan Crawford signs in China

Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Jordan Crawford, Jarrett Jack Jordan Crawford, Jarrett Jack

Last season, Celtics traded Crawford to Warriors, who were unsatisfied with his play

8. Joakim Noah throws better first pitch at Cubs game

Sep 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Bulls center didn’t fare quite as well at White Sox game

9. Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character”

Sep 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Steve Kerr Steve Kerr

“Everybody who knows Danny knows that he’s a good person.” —Steve Kerr on Danny Ferry

10. Bucks sign Micheal Eric

Sep 17, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT

NCAA Basketball Tournament - South Florida v Temple Getty Images

Milwaukee will likely waive former Temple center before season

11. Kings give Ryan Hollins fully guaranteed one-year contract

Sep 17, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Clippers New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers rushed to upgrade from Hollins as backup center, the role Hollins will likely hold in Sacramento

12. Knicks sign Orlando Sanchez

Sep 17, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Providence v St. John's Providence v St. John's

Sanchez played for St. John’s, Dominican Republic national team

13. Omer Asik wants to just defend, rebound. Which is just fine with Anthony Davis.

Sep 17, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT

New Orleans Hornets v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Asik and Davis could be one of the NBA’s best defensive front lines.

14. Nets sign Hamady Ndiaye to compete for third-center job

Sep 17, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT

2012 Sacramento Kings Media Day 2012 Sacramento Kings Media Day

Brooklyn needs someone behind Brook Lopez and Mason Plumlee

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches