DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS No. 7: Warriors’ starting lineup

Oct 2, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT

Stephen Curry Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, David Lee and Andrew Bogut dominated last season and return for more

2. Does Serge Ibaka know who Mitch McGary is?

Oct 1, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

2014 Oklahoma City Thunder Media Day 2014 Oklahoma City Thunder Media Day

Thunder forward says he doesn’t (unless he’s joking like Kevin Martin)

3. D-League considers rule change: Players attempt one free throw on all trips to line

Oct 1, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Dwight Howard Dwight Howard

Get fouled on a missed 2-pointer – one free throw worth two points
    Get fouled on a missed 3-pointer – one free throw worth three points

4. Injury updates: Lakers Ryan Kelly, Jazz’s Carrick Felix both out for a while

Oct 1, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Media Day Getty Images

Two young players trying to prove to new coaches they deserved minutes. This is a real setback for both.

5. LeBron co-producing children’s show about beginnings of himself, other top athletes

Oct 1, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

The show is on Disney XD. I suppose there are worse things your child could watch.

6. Phil Jackson compared J.R. Smith to Dennis Rodman. Smith likes that.

Oct 1, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

J.R. Smith AP

Thing is, Rodman fit the triangle and what Jackson wants to do with a team. Smith…. not so much.

7. Greg Monroe calls offseason rumors surrounding him ‘lies’

Oct 1, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT

Greg Monroe Greg Monroe

Monroe had a busy offseason in terms of appearances in the NBA’s news cycle.

8. Rajon Rondo doesn’t rule out opening night return for Celtics

Oct 1, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Broken hand is supposed to sideline Rondo for 6-8 weeks.

9. K.J. McDaniels takes unique approach to rookie contract with Sixers

Oct 1, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

Second round pick foregoing additional guaranteed dollars in order to bet on himself.

10. Klay Thompson refutes report he was ‘pissed’ about being included in trade talks for Kevin Love

Oct 1, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

Reminder not to believe everything you read, especially if it’s attributed to ‘a source.’

11. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets

Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets Media Day Charlotte Hornets Media Day

The new-look Hornets, with Lance Stephenson in tow, are hoping to build on a playoff run and a promising young core.

12. Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers

Oct 1, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Kobe wants to shake the rust off before the games count for real later this month.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches