DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. Pacers to sign Chris Singleton

Sep 1, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

chris-singleton Getty Images

Former Wizard provides depth at small forward following Paul George’s injury

2. Mason Plumlee wants you to know Duke, Nike had nothing to do with him making Team USA

Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Finland v USA Getty Images

“If you were at our practices and our training camp, anybody that was there, they would see why I made the team.” —Mason Plumlee

3. Elephant dunks a basketball?

Sep 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Elephant dunks a basketball.

4. Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold

Sep 1, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Boston Celtics Getty Images

This makes more sense, but he could get moved near the deadline.

5. Report: Clippers close to deal with Chris Douglas-Roberts

Sep 1, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal Chris Douglas-Roberts, Gary Neal

This would be a solid pickup for the bench, especially at the league minimum.

6. Heat demote two assistants to hire Juwan Howard

Sep 1, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Ron Rothstein and Bob McAdoo lose bench spots, could stay with Miami

7. Kevin Durant confirms he is staying with Nike

Sep 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

12-390_Nike_KDV_Upper_Detail-02_original

This is a win for Jay-Z’s Roc Nation.

8. James Harden with more bad defense in USA’s win over Turkey (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Team USA Practice Session Getty Images

Harden’s reputation on the defensive end of the floor continues to grow.

9. Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade

Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Whether he asked out or not doesn’t really change his situation much.

10. Report: Hedo Turkoglu nearing free agent deal to return to Clippers

Aug 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Turkoglu didn’t do much in L.A. last year, but Chris Paul recently touted the importance of consistency in the Clippers’ chances for success next season.

11. James Harden’s four-point play vs. Turkey (VIDEO)

Aug 31, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT

James Harden James Harden

James Harden makes the PUJIT work for him.

12. Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup

Aug 31, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

The energy of Kenneth Faried helped Team USA pull away in the second half.

13. Report: Kings finalizing deal to trade Jason Terry to Rockets

Aug 31, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Newly acquired Brooklyn Net's NBA player Jason Terry smiles as he is introduced to the media during a news conference in Brooklyn Reuters

Terry was never going to be a fit in Sacramento, but could be a nice veteran addition for a Rockets team that plans on contending next season.

14. Report: Grizzlies waive Jamaal Franklin

Aug 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Jamaal Franklin Jamaal Franklin

Franklin only played one NBA season, but this will open up a roster spot in Memphis.

15. Timberwolves set record for ticket sales after trading Kevin Love to Cavaliers

Aug 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Andrew Wiggins Andrew Wiggins

In some ways, this new beginning in Minnesota is more interesting than if the team had simply proceeded with the status quo.

16. Thad Young on Sixers rebuild: ‘They were getting rid of everybody and getting worse’

Aug 31, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Thaddeus Young AP

There’s a big difference between the rebuilding that’s taking place in Minnesota and what’s going on with the Sixers.

17. Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years

Aug 31, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

BASKET-TPE-US-NBA Getty Images

Under Armour made a huge offer, but Nike has exercised its right to match.

18. Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’

Aug 31, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Rajon Rondo, Kyrie Irving,Tristan Thompson Rajon Rondo, Kyrie Irving,Tristan Thompson

Rondo is in the same situation Kevin Love was in with Timberwolves, before he was traded to Cavaliers.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches