DeMarcus Cousins doesn’t think people give him a fair chance

Jan 8, 2013, 6:03 PM EST

John Salmons, DeMarcus Cousins AP

DeMarcus Cousins isn’t totally wrong here — we tend not to give the benefit of the doubt to people we have seen act a certain way before.

That’s pretty much how Cousins sees his reputation and the response to him — people don’t give him a fair chance.

He said as much to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic interview. Seriously, go read the whole thing.

Cousins starts off by admitting he lets little things get to him too much but then says people don’t give him a chance.

“Sometimes I let some of the small things take over,” Cousins told SI.com. “It can be a simple thing, like a call going the wrong way, and it takes me all off. I’ve got a real problem when I know something is wrong or I feel something is wrong, I’m going to speak about it. I get it from my mother. It’s a problem I have. I don’t want to say I want to change it because it helped me get where I am. But at the same time, I have to learn to be quiet….

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m innocent, because I’ve done things,” Cousins said. “But to get the reputation that I’ve got, I don’t think I’ve done enough. I don’t have a criminal record. Some of the guys with the cleanest image in the league have a record. I don’t think I was given a fair chance. I don’t know what I did in college that was so bad to get that reputation. OK, there is footage of me and Coach Cal going at each other. That happens in sports. Coming into the league, everyone said I was going to be fat, I was the next Oliver Miller. I had all these red flags. I just feel I was never given a fair chance coming in.”

Cousins goes on to say that is still true with the Sacramento Kings, who treat him like he has never done anything right when he makes a mistake. They don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

Because they have learned from the past.

The thing is, reputations can change. People mature. Reasonable people give others a second chance if they show they are changing.

Cousins needs to let things roll off his back — if a broadcaster criticizes you during a game, don’t go find him afterward to complain. Let it go. You prove him wrong by playing hard, playing smart and making him look foolish for what he said.

Cousins can do that — his immense talent is not in question. And he has been a model citizen by all reports since the last Kings suspension (that lasted all of one game). It sounds like a cheesy self-help book thought, but it’s true — if Cousins becomes the player he wants on and off the court, he will get that fair chance from people. But he’s going to have to earn that chance now.

Latest Posts
  1. Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’

Dec 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

Memphis Grizzlies v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Lin understands why Bryant always gets the ball in these situations, but admits he’d like to get some opportunities.

2. Serge Ibaka blocks Carlos Boozer at the rim, does Mutombo finger wag (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Serge Ibaka, Carlos Boozer AP

As the Thunder ended up winning by one, 104-103, this block ended up being very important.

3. Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 2:07 AM EST

Damian Lillard AP

Lillard needs to get mentioned with the game’s top point guards.

4. Former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic loses first kickboxing fight (VIDEO)

Dec 20, 2014, 12:02 AM EST

Former NBA player now trying to make his way as a fighter.

5. Danny Ainge says uncertainty about Celtics’ ability to re-sign Rajon Rondo prompted trade to Dallas

Dec 19, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Danny Ainge AP

There are a whole host of reasons Rondo was traded; this is just the most convenient for Boston’s brass.

6. Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard has torn ligament in right hand, return unclear

Dec 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

Kawhi Leonard AP

Leonard was the Finals MVP for San Antonio last season.

7. Kevin Durant to sit out vs. Lakers with ankle sprain

Dec 19, 2014, 6:35 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

This is the smart move by the Thunder.

8. Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston

Dec 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EST

Orlando Magic v Boston Celtics, Game 6 Getty Images

It’s kind of moot now, but it’s not a surprise.

9. Kobe Bryant says he’s not recruiting Kevin Durant to Lakers. Yet?

Dec 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant AP

Lakers star: ‘If the opportunity came up, then that’s the time to have that discussion’

10. Raptors unveil new logo, get ribbed by Nets’ official Twitter account about it

Dec 19, 2014, 4:29 PM EST

Nets v Raptors Eastern Conference Quarter Finals Game 7 Getty Images

Black-and-white version of Toronto’s new logo looks similar to Brooklyn’s

11. Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston

Dec 19, 2014, 2:56 PM EST

Minnesota Timberwolves v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

This gives the Rockets a little more depth on the wing with Harden and Ariza.

12. Kevin Durant (ankle injury) game-time decision vs. Lakers

Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Thunder star sprained ankle against Warriors

13. Report: Mavericks targeting Jermaine O’Neal to replace Brandan Wright

Dec 19, 2014, 1:04 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Sending Wright to the Celtics leaves major hole at backup center

14. Report: Mavericks “confident” they can re-sign Rajon Rondo

Dec 19, 2014, 12:28 PM EST

rondomavs

Mark Cuban is too smart to pull the trigger on this kind of deal unless he has word he can keep his man.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches