Jan 8, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Kevin Garnett talks a lot of trash. A lot. He may not be the most clever trash talker in the league, but he wins on volume — he never stops talking.
Carmelo Anthony thought KG crossed the line last night and they scuffled a little on the floor then ‘Melo tried to go “talk” to Garnett after the game.
Later that night the two did talk and clear the air on the phone, reports Frank Isola of Newsday. Then Anthony spoke to the media, here are his quotes via the twitter of Nate Taylor of the New York Times.
“Last night I got out of character a little bit. I allowed some negativity to come into my circle.”
“It’s certain things that you just don’t say to men. I felt we crossed the line. But we’re both at an understanding right now.”
“I lost my composure yesterday. I accept that. But there are certain things that push certain people’s buttons.”
Anthony also said he didn’t do anything that warranted a suspension from the league. We’ll see if the league office feels the same way.
There are reports that what set Anthony off was a comment about his wife La La, who was in attendance at the game. (I’m not going to repeat the alleged comment here, follow this link if you want to know.)
This is what Garnett does — he talks to get under your skin. To make you lose focus. He does it to everyone. ‘Melo needs to take a page out of the Tim Duncan book here, keep his mouth closed and just go back hard at KG on the court. Ignore what he says.
Which is easy for me to say sitting at home. But as ‘Melo is growing as a team leader and trying to take the Knicks deep in the playoffs, he needs to be above this kind of thing.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 19
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 4
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 38
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22