Carmelo talks Kevin Garnett, what set him off Monday

Jan 8, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v New York Knicks Getty Images

Kevin Garnett talks a lot of trash. A lot. He may not be the most clever trash talker in the league, but he wins on volume — he never stops talking.

Carmelo Anthony thought KG crossed the line last night and they scuffled a little on the floor then ‘Melo tried to go “talk” to Garnett after the game.

Later that night the two did talk and clear the air on the phone, reports Frank Isola of Newsday. Then Anthony spoke to the media, here are his quotes via the twitter of Nate Taylor of the New York Times.

“Last night I got out of character a little bit. I allowed some negativity to come into my circle.”

“It’s certain things that you just don’t say to men. I felt we crossed the line. But we’re both at an understanding right now.”

“I lost my composure yesterday. I accept that. But there are certain things that push certain people’s buttons.”

Anthony also said he didn’t do anything that warranted a suspension from the league. We’ll see if the league office feels the same way.

There are reports that what set Anthony off was a comment about his wife La La, who was in attendance at the game. (I’m not going to repeat the alleged comment here, follow this link if you want to know.)

This is what Garnett does — he talks to get under your skin. To  make you lose focus. He does it to everyone. ‘Melo needs to take a page out of the Tim Duncan book here, keep his mouth closed and just go back hard at KG on the court. Ignore what he says.

Which is easy for me to say sitting at home. But as ‘Melo is growing as a team leader and trying to take the Knicks deep in the playoffs, he needs to be above this kind of thing.

1. isujames - Jan 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I would’ve loved to have seen marshmellow anthony take a swing @ KG and run all the way to the other end of the court again lol.

2. stebutt - Jan 9, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Isn’t it about time that fouls are given for this juvenile rubbish. Any mention of anyone’s family on the court has nothing to do with the game. Flagrant foul, 3 free throws.

• andyhr17 - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Yes, dumbass. Telling someone a “You’re mamma’s so fat….” joke should result in more free throws than punching someone in the face.

3. nokoolaidcowboy - Jan 9, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I like how Anthony handled this. Not during the game but I appreciate getting the full picture now.

4. paulhargis53 - Jan 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM

pants, we don’t hate you because of LeBron or Pat.
    We detest you because not a peep was heard from you turds on here until Bosh and James showed up in Miami.
    Bandwagon fans are pathetic.

You played the 4 in grade school? How nice for you.

Lakers, Celtics among lottery bound teams
Top 10 NBA Player Searches