Jan 7, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
We’ve already seen some, and in the next 24 hours your are going to see a lot more moves of guys who have barely gotten any run — then you are going to start to see 10-day contract guys fill their place on the bench.
The deal is that by today at 5 p.m. (Eastern), any guy who has been on a team’s roster since the start of the season with a non-guaranteed contract become a guaranteed contract for the rest of the season. So teams that want to save a few bucks are cutting guys loose. Monday is also the day teams can sign guys to 10-day contracts.
So, a little flurry of action with more to come. Here is what you missed:
• The Sixers have waived Philadelphia native and rookie point guard Maalik Wayns, reports CSNPhilly.com. Guy went to Villanova and everything, but there was no brotherly love. In his place is goes first-round draft pick Arnett Moultrie who got called up from the D-League (Sioux Falls). It’s a money thing, the Sixers now don’t have to pay Wayns, they had to pay Moultrie anyway.
• Donald Sloan, who was waived by the Cavaliers, is getting a 10-day contract with the New Orleans Hornets. Good move. Sloan was stuck behind Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters in Cleveland. In New Orleans, well, let’s just say he could get past Austin Rivers.
• Samardo Samuels was released in Cleveland but reports are the Nets and Thunder are interested.
• Miami waived guard Terrell Harris. Hard to be a guard who gets wing minutes in Miami.
• Chris Douglas-Roberts has been let go by the Dallas Mavericks.
• The Pacers have waived forward Sam Young.
• Lazar Hayward, who was just inked by the Timberwolves on New Year’s Eve to add some depth, was released.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49