Jan 7, 2013, 2:54 AM EDT
Honestly, we could put Kevin Durant or LeBron James on this list any night they play. They are the two best players on the planet right now (sorry CP3, you’re close), so sometimes we take someone else to give them a little credit. But the big guns belong here, because they are that good. But they weren’t the very best tonight.
Third Star: LeBron James (24 points, 7 assists)
He just did whatever he wanted to the Wizards defense. Scored in the paint, drained threes, drew defenders and kicked it out to open shooters. He rolled his ankle pretty badly, then just kept playing through it. He’s the best all around player in the game now and sometimes you just need to step back and admire the level he is playing at right now. It doesn’t come around often. True fans of the game of basketball need to savor it.
Second Star: Kevin Durant (22 points, 7 assists, 7 rebounds)
What kind of impact did Durant have on the game? He was a +28. And while I have issues with the +/- stat, suffice to say if you are a +28 on the night you were doing something right. He did a little bit of everything and was key to the Thunder win. Another guy that is just fun to watch play, unless you are the guy guarding him. Really the only issue you could have with him is he seems to be complaining to the refs more lately. Still, Durant pretty much had the play of the day with this move:
First Star: Ty Lawson (21 points, 10 assists)
He completely outplayed Steve Nash on the night. Lawson was shredding the Lakers defense, getting into the lane whenever he wanted (and while Dwight Howard altered a few and forced misses the Lakers defense had been compromised by the penetration), and he was pushing the pace. Late he even had a three that put the Nuggets up by 10. Lawson has been up and down a little this season, but when he is on like this the Nuggets offense completely clicks.
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 5
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 19
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19