Jan 7, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
Oh, how I would like to think this would put an end to the DeMarcus Cousins trade rumors. Particularly the ones out of Boston, where they seem most rampant. But alas, this has about as much chance of working out well as an Oasis reunion tour.
Sam Amick of the USA Today — a guy who lives in Sacramento and is a former Sacramento Bee Kings beat writer, so he is well connected there — tweeted this on Sunday night.
DeMarcus Cousins is not going to the Celtics. Teams continue to be told that he’s not available. That is all.
— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) January 7, 2013
This echoes what we have reported before — when Cousins was suspended by the team for a fight with coach Keith Smart a lot of other teams called up and asked the Kings abut a deal. Teams were and are sniffing around hoping to steal a player of immense talent, albeit an immature personality.
There was no interest from the Kings. Not then, not now.
Cousins was personally reinstated from his suspension by owners Joe and Gavin Maloof over the heads of Smart and GM Geoff Petrie (the latter two wanted Cousins to sit longer and apologize). The owners believe that in a league where talent wins Cousins is a guy they can build around.
Now you think those same owners are going to okay a trade?
The Kings organization is a mess so I rule out nothing, and reportedly Petrie would like to listen to offers, but if ownership is making the call this is a dead deal, not happening. And that appears to be the case.
- Report: Paul Pierce to sign two-year deal to join Wizards 4
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 35
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 50
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 37
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 36
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 19
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 58
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 40