Jan 7, 2013, 10:46 AM EST
Oh, how I would like to think this would put an end to the DeMarcus Cousins trade rumors. Particularly the ones out of Boston, where they seem most rampant. But alas, this has about as much chance of working out well as an Oasis reunion tour.
Sam Amick of the USA Today — a guy who lives in Sacramento and is a former Sacramento Bee Kings beat writer, so he is well connected there — tweeted this on Sunday night.
DeMarcus Cousins is not going to the Celtics. Teams continue to be told that he’s not available. That is all.
— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) January 7, 2013
This echoes what we have reported before — when Cousins was suspended by the team for a fight with coach Keith Smart a lot of other teams called up and asked the Kings abut a deal. Teams were and are sniffing around hoping to steal a player of immense talent, albeit an immature personality.
There was no interest from the Kings. Not then, not now.
Cousins was personally reinstated from his suspension by owners Joe and Gavin Maloof over the heads of Smart and GM Geoff Petrie (the latter two wanted Cousins to sit longer and apologize). The owners believe that in a league where talent wins Cousins is a guy they can build around.
Now you think those same owners are going to okay a trade?
The Kings organization is a mess so I rule out nothing, and reportedly Petrie would like to listen to offers, but if ownership is making the call this is a dead deal, not happening. And that appears to be the case.
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 7
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 2
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 13
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 7
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)