Jan 7, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Over the weekend, Rajon Rondo played out a scene from last year’s playoffs — he bumped a referee in Atlanta.
The league doesn’t take kindly to this. Combine it with what the league office called “failure to cooperate with a league investigation” and you get a one-game suspension for Rondo, Stu Jackson announced. Rondo will sit out Monday night when the Celtics travel to Madison Square Garden. Not the way to enter a big division showdown after winning a couple in a row for Boston.
This will be the third time in less than a year that Rondo has been suspended, feeding into the naysayers who believe the talented playmaker isn’t quite ready to lead this team due to the unusually high number of suspensions he has had to serve.
There’s never a good time for such an incident to happen, but the timing of this could not be any worse. The C’s put together back-to-back wins with a stretches of stifling defense, the kind the Celtics have been known to provide in the past.
After Monday night the Celtics have five games in a row at home and they might get on some solid footing then, but the test against the Knicks now comes with a big asterisk. Look for a lot more Courtney Lee and Jason Terry for Boston.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1