Jan 7, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
The Glove belongs in The Hall.
And it could happen. The list of nominees for the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame were released on Monday and Payton is among them for the first time. So was Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf, as well as returning guys like Bernard King who should be in. Of course, it’s never that simple with the Hall of Fame, which is an international hall of which the NBA is only part.
Everybody on the nominee list goes before a nine-person panel and if they get seven yes votes move on to the finalist stage (who makes the cut is announced All-Star Weekend in Houston). A group of 24 writers makes the final votes later, the list of guys getting in comes out in April.
NBA.com has the full list of nominees (and we list them below) but here are a few highlights:
• Gary Payton: Best remembered from his years in Seattle, The Glove is one of the best guards of his generation, a guy who gave you 16.3 points and 6.7 assists a game over the course of his career, but it was the defense on the other end of the floor that made his reputation. He is a nine-time All-Star, was the 1996 NBA Defensive Player of the Year and got a ring as a member of the 2006 Miami Heat. He should be in (but don’t be shocked if it takes more than one year).
• Jerry Reinsdorf: The long-time owner of the Chicago Bulls has six NBA Championships on his resume. He got that while running a very profitable business — the Bulls were never one of the NBA’s biggest spending teams and in an era when other owners lived outside their means then complained about how hard it was to make money, Reinsdorf turned a profit. He has been influential among NBA owners.
• Bernard King: Please, put this man in the Hall. It’s time. He’s been up five times and the fact one of the games great scorers is not in the Hall is a travesty. He averaged 22.5 points per game over the course of his career and that peaked at 32.9 for the Knicks in 1985.
For fun, here is King dropping 60 on the Nets.
• Russ Granik, who spent 22 years as the No. 2 guy at the NBA league offices. You remember him as the guy who announced the second round before Adam Silver did.
• Vlade Divac: He was nominated by the International Committee. Look, if this were an NBA-only Hall of Fame (and there should be one of those, but that’s another rant) Divac wouldn’t make it. Although, Lakers fans would like him to because he was the centerpiece of the draft day trade that brought them Kobe Bryant. Anyway, if you are talking about international players who change the flow of guys to the NBA, Divac should be on the list and maybe a Hall member.
• Oscar Schmidt. While we are listing international guys, this Brazilian legend is a no-brainer for the Hall. He visited Team USA practice this year and you should have seen the Team USA guys bend over backward to shake his hand.
Here is the full list if nominees, via Scott Howard-Cooper at NBA.com.
From North America: John Bach, Dick Bavetta, Gene Bess, Maurice Cheeks, Jack Curran, Bobby Dandridge, Lefty Driesell, Bill Fitch, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Travis Grant, Tim Hardaway, Spencer Haywood, Robert Hughes, Kevin Johnson, Marques Johnson, Gene Keady, Guy Lewis, Danny Miles, William (Speedy) Morris, Dick Motta, Curly Neal, Payton, Rick Pitino, Mitch Richmond, Paul Silas, Eddie Sutton, Jerry Tarkanian, Rudy Tomjanovich, Paul Westphal, Gary Williams.
From the ABA: Zelmo Beatty, Ron Boone, Roger Brown, Mack Calvin, Louie Dampier, Bob (Slick) Leonard, George McGinnis.
Contributors (off the court guys): Al Attles, Marty Blake, Harry Glickman, Del Harris, Red Klotz, Jerry Krause, Johnny Most, Gene Shue, Donnie Walsh.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Does China really know what it’s getting here?
Jul 31, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
As tight as he is with Kidd, do you really think Payton would choose Milwaukee over Los Angeles?
Jul 31, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Milwaukee, with Damien Inglis in limbo, now facing roster crunch
Jul 31, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Like most “feuds,” once two rational people sit down and talk for a minute, everything dissipates.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
That means he’s signing with the Wizards, right?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Barring another move, Toronto down to one roster spot for Lucas Nogueira or DeAndre Daniels
Jul 31, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
“We think he’s one of the top players in the league and we need for him to be that five that nobody has.” —Mike Krzyzewski on Anthony Davis
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Palmer to marry celebrity hair stylist Tanya Stine
Jul 31, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Former Oregon State standout impresses with shot-blocking ability
Jul 31, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Jeremy Lin in a full-blown dance number. You know you want to see that.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Hawks forward, now trying out for Team USA World Cup team, has come a long way
Jul 31, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
A LeBron James-Kevin Love combo seems increasingly inevitable
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
“His unique skill set makes him one of the best players in the game today.” —Pat Riley on Chris Bosh, who still is overpaid.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Pat Riley got beat in free agency, and he doesn’t take losing well.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Scott, not Mike Brown, would have followed Phil Jackson
Jul 30, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
“He’s playing out of his mind. He’s being Derrick Rose.” —Anthony Davis on Rose.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
NBA reportedly wanted Bavetta to retire four years ago
Jul 30, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
The elicits a shrug of the shoulders. Not much else.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Thunder star texted Davis after winning the award last season: ‘You on your way to get it’
Tony Parker says skipping FIBA World Championships this summer was a way for him to ‘give back to the Spurs’
Jul 30, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Parker has played 91 extra games since his last summer break three seasons ago.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 10
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 84
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4